Pronomic SCM-1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

In the past I have used a couple of Pronomic SCM-1 microphones, sold by Kirstein in Germany.
These microphones are cheap but produce a very reasonable quality, certainly considering the price.
The only disadvantage they have, is a 'bump' of +/- 5 dB around 7-8 KHz.
But it seems they recently improved the microphone capsule.
The new type (that at first glance looks very similar to the Banzai KM84 body+capsule kit) doesn't have this peak.
The new capsule head has small round holes in front of the capsule.
Only thing to improve is the FET bias, in my sample is was possible to optimize distortion/max. SPL. (0.1% to 0.02% THD)
Great value for money!

https://www.kirstein.de/nl/Live-Studio/Microfoons/Kleinmembraan-Microfoon/Pronomic-SCM-1-kleinmembraan-microfoon-zilver.html

Attachments

• capsules.JPG
    capsules.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 186
Sounds really interesting if you can get a great sounding SDC for that price. Have you compared them to the iSK Pearl?

Is the mic cardioid or super cardioid?

Hi Ruud,

How have you corrected the bias for the fet?  I have not seen any possibility to adjust it.

Thanks and best wishes

Reiner

Where there's a will, there's a way ;)

And by "will", i mean a soldering iron, a trimpot and a bit of creativity ;D

micro1_de said:
Hi Ruud,

How have you corrected the bias for the fet?  I have not seen any possibility to adjust it.

Thanks and best wishes

Reiner

I guess these capsules fit our Sub Zero friends Ruud? Mxl603 etc.

And if ordered from Kirstein, they arive with new ones, not the standard ones on the pictures on their site?

"Could you post the photo of the complete microphone ?"
A picture of the microphone (with the "old" capsule) is on the website of Kirstein.

"Is the mic cardioid or super cardioid?"
The microphone is advertised as cardioid, but opinions differ...

"Have you compared them to the iSK Pearl?"
No, I don't have an iSK Pearl to compare it with

"How have you corrected the bias for the fet?  I have not seen any possibility to adjust it. "
The FET is biased with a 100K and a 220 K (SMD) resistor.
I took out the resistors and replaced them with a small (cermet) trimpot.
I guess you could only take out the 100K and put a trimpot in place, because in my microphones the value of the 100 K appeared too high for a correct bias.

"I guess these capsules fit our Sub Zero friends Ruud?"
I think the diameter of the Subzero capsules isn't the same as the diameter of the Pronomic capsules.
(I think the Subzero's are bigger.) But I will try it today and let you know.

EDIT:
To my surprise I noticed that the Pronomic capsules DO indeed fit the Subzero microphones!
The backplate pin of the Pronomic capsule is a little bit shorter than the Subzero, but I got a good contact with the pin inside the body of the Subzero.
So: it works!

"if ordered from Kirstein, they arive with new ones?"
It seems that during the last months they only have microphones with the "new" capsules.
I ordered a pair this week.

So it's advertised as cardioid but opinions vary on whether or not it's cardioid, super, or somewhere in between? I'm guessing it's at least somewhat similar directionally to the Samson C02s then.

And this new capsule doesn't have the big presence boost a lot of cheap mics have? Does that mean that it's relatively flat? If so I might check it out, though my interest in small diaphragm mics is for portable voice over mics and potentially indoor booming and sound effects, but mainly voice over. Like something I could throw in a bag with a portable recorder and laptop to record something quickly if I'm away from home and need to record something.

They are a lot better than the Samson CO2 microphones.
I once had a pair of Samsons, but they were so noisy that I returned them to the seller the same day!
The Pronomics are real (externally polarised) condenser microphones, the Samsons are electrets.
And yes, the new ones have a pretty flat frequency response.
I did a blind test with a collegue of mine (recording engineer), with the Pronomic and the Neumann KM84.
His answer was: "If there is any difference, I can't hear it".

I guess it's just matter of time until we find origin of these capsules

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202266409962

Are there any stores in North America that offer it, or that ship to North America? The linked store doesn't have any info on shipping to the US and Canada. If there are rebrands using the same new capsule I'd check those out too.

The thread on the mic from a few years ago suggests that the Takstar CM-60 might be similar to the older ones. The supplied frequency response by Takstar on AliExpress looks like it has a +2 dB boost between 2-3 KHz, a 2 dB dip at 4 KHz, then boost around +4 dB boost at around 7 KHz.

Icantthinkofaname said:
The supplied frequency response by Takstar on AliExpress looks like it has a +2 dB boost between 2-3 KHz, a 2 dB dip at 4 KHz, then boost around +4 dB boost at around 7 KHz.

In general, I don't believe a word of a frequency response graph on the internet!
Especially if the graph is published by an unknown manufacturer/brand.
(Usually it is an almost flat line between 20 Hz and 20 KHz that looks too good to be true!)
And indeed: the 'old' version of the Prononic SCM-1 was very similar to the Takstar CM-60.
I suppose they are made in the same (Chinese) factory.
The fact that Microphone Parts offers these capsules, proves that it is a commercial product.

I am really happy with the quality of the 'new' capsules and I will compare them with the 'Banzai' ones.

Back