Pronomic SCM-1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like we haven't had any news on this in a while. Anyone know if the BM-80 capsule (looks identical to the good one) is actually like the good capsules, or is it some premium upgrade? I'd pay the $63 AUD easily if they are the good capsules.

I'm attaching the advertised frequency response available on iSK's website. I don't know if it's trustworthy, and they list different specs than Swamp Industries does (Swamp lists 16 dBA self noise, iSK lists 20 dBA which might be for the BM-81, pretty sure Swamp also listed the CM-20 mics with 18 dBA rather than the 20 dBA iSK advertises, though that's been corrected). Yup, Swamp's specs are incorrect. They're listing the BM-88/Pearl specs on the BM-80 because it says 25mm capsule.

Attachments

• IMG_20190315_105138.jpg
    IMG_20190315_105138.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 36
It's possible you're just too polite...

Sometimes you need to "badger" the Chinese.

Years ago, I bought laptop batteries from China. It's very common not to get a reply on a first mail. I got transferred to one of their Hong-Kong "handlers" after the fourth mail or so. They admitted having no person able to mail in English. The HK handler was reliable and I've bought several dozens of batteries from that manufacturer.

Recently, a friend bought an expensive e-bike. It should arrive assembled. Of course, it wasn't. No plans, no schematics, no battery...

It wasn't until he made a post on FB calling the manufacturer a scam operation he got response. They threatened him with a lawsuit. Again, he posted the threat on FB and sent them a mail alerting them to the post, stating that he would make a lot of noise unless they sent him what he wanted. He did get what he paid for and the manufacturer has found a Russian intermediary to handle EU business.

RuudNL said:
I have emailed iSK a couple of times and asked for a price for a batch of microphones and/or capsules, but unfortunately they never replied. Strange...

I tried that and they did reply.
However they redirected me to their
reseller.

If you guys are interested in the stock BM80, can ask for a quote.

But needs to be 100pcs ordered minimum.
Also be prepared for ~ 4 month leadtime.

Btw not using ISK for the KM84 kits.
Haven't dealt with them since the capsule groupbuy we did years ago.

I could probably go in for 4 (so I can have two cardioid, and two to try the hyper/super cardioid mod on, and 4 from Swamp Industries would probably cost $250 or so anyway.) if we can get the group buy together. Though they might just tell you to talk to the reseller.

Seems like they're already somewhat cheap (compared to a KM84), but I can't find anything on how it actually sounds or even any reviews, and I don't really trust the frequency response plot much, because a lot of iSK's look way too similar for me to believe they all sound really similar unless they're all the same few mics rebadged.

Interested, depending on the price.  Seeing as Swamp sells them retail for $63 AUD, I'm thinking you should be able to get them for well under $40 US a piece?

I'd still be in for a pair (or more, depending on the price), if we can make that groupbuy happen. Thanks for the offer, Banzai!

Cheers
Jannis

kingkorg said:
I received these today. Hyper, and cardioid.

Even though they have different grille, they have very simmilar responses like Pronomic measurements provided here, compared to older type capsules.

I wait for my pronomics, and will post results.

If anyone is interrested, HyperCardioid version has larger holes in plastic backplates, the rest is pretty much the same.

And no, they are not the same as old MXL capsules with mesh. These are shallower, have very dense mesh, and are flatter in response.
How much do those custom Shuaiyin capsules cost? And what's their minimum order?

7.5$ piece. Shipping to Norway is 45$.

They are nothing special. For the price of shipping and capsule you can get a couple of Takstar CM60 microphones. Which has the same type of caosule, if you dont mind the grille on them. And you get the body as well.

kingkorg said:
7.5$ piece. Shipping to Norway is 45$.

They are nothing special. For the price of shipping and capsule you can get a couple of Takstar CM60 microphones. Which has the same type of caosule, if you dont mind the grille on them. And you get the body as well.
They seem pretty flat though, aren't they? I doubt they'd fit any of the mics I have since most of my SDCs are iSKs which are electret.

I'm mostly interested in the hyper cardioid capsule anyway, but picking up a cardioid, omni, and hyper cardioid is something I'd be open to.

Actually do you think these would fit the iSK BM-80 or Pronomic SCM1? I'd certainly be open to grabbing a pair of the latter and some Shuaiyin capsules.

I wouldnt recommend hyper cardioids with this kind of body because of the accoustical mess behind the capsule. I've never seen decent FR curve with hypers on these mics. They usualy have huge dip in upper midrange. And off axis sound gets ugly.

For this kind of body i would go with omnis, or cardioids. Not that hypers will dramatically differently reject the sound compared to cardioids.

I tried this on toms hoping i would get less bleed from cymbals. Nothing happened, i just got uglier off axis sound (cymbals).

kingkorg said:
I wouldnt recommend hyper cardioids with this kind of body because of the accoustical mess behind the capsule. I've never seen decent FR curve with hypers on these mics. They usualy have huge dip in upper midrange. And off axis sound gets ugly.

For this kind of body i would go with omnis, or cardioids. Not that hypers will dramatically differently reject the sound compared to cardioids.

I tried this on toms hoping i would get less bleed from cymbals. Nothing happened, i just got uglier off axis sound (cymbals).
Yeah I figured hyper wouldn't be great on a mic where the acoustic vents are on the body sleeve. I'm either gonna get a couple hyper cardioid MK-012 capsules (and return them if it's my preamps that are the issue, but I'm starting to doubt that), and if that's the case I'll get another 3U Audio SDC with the hyper cardioid capsule.

Hey,
I had a little bit of free time on my hands and dug a little deeper. So I found that a manufacturer called Byron Audio sells these types of microphones at very reasonable rates. They want 47$ for a pair of these mics ( MOQ 100) including two mic clips, windscreens and a wooden/aluminium box. They also sell these capsules for 7.70$ (MOQ 200). I don't know if they are affiliated with ISK or not but they seem to be identical.
Just FYI.  ;)

Best
Jannis

Attachments

• IC-30.pdf
    570.2 KB · Views: 49
That's awesome! Thank you for sharing!

EDIT (update):
Just received a reply, sadly they don't have the CS-170 type.

However, as i suspected, they claim the two types sound and measure exactly the same, the only difference is cosmetic.

jarvis said:
Hey,
I had a little bit of free time on my hands and dug a little deeper. So I found that a manufacturer called Byron Audio sells these types of microphones at very reasonable rates. They want 47$ for a pair of these mics ( MOQ 100) including two mic clips, windscreens and a wooden/aluminium box. They also sell these capsules for 7.70$ (MOQ 200). I don't know if they are affiliated with ISK or not but they seem to be identical.
Just FYI.  ;)

Best
Jannis
Got a link to their site? There are a couple Byron Audios I'm finding through Google.

RuudNL said:
I have a feeling it is this one: http://www.byron-audio.com/
Yeah, that's what I figured but I'm not finding those mics, and most their stuff seems to not be actual studio condensers either (a ton of dynamics though), there's a lot of lav and gooseneck mics and a lot of their studio stuff looks like the usual stuff from Nady and the like, though I will say some of their LDCs under the "Pro Microphones" tab intrigue me. They have some stuff that looks like Shure condenser knockoffs with some pretty decent sounding specs, but no audio samples or frequency plots (this doesn't bother me so much, but they're cheaper condensers that are Apex/Nady rebrands have them) or even a dedicated info page for the individual mics.

The other few results actually called Byron Audio seem to be videography services.

Bumping, had a couple questions about these mics
kingkorg said:

How do omnis fare on these bodies? Do you have to tape up the vents on the body? These mics still seem like they'd be really good donor bodies and just good cheap true condenser SDCs in general. A lot cheap electret ones I've seen are either noisy, or don't have the best sound (the cheap ones I like usually have the better Transound capsules in em).

Anyway for hyper cardioids, which I really only wanted for dialogue and VO recording I have my MK-012s, so a DIY/cheap super/hyper cardioid isn't a huge priority.

Latest posts

Back