[PROPOSAL] forum organization redux

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grantlack

rather than quoting everything that i agree with from what originally was peterc's thread, it seems to me that ethan should re-sticky a thread about forum organization.  IMO most of the current organizational constructs are either broken or on their way, be it:
-undersupported and essentially unutilized metas that newbies skim past, leading to RTFM clutter.
-lumping of support threads with general questions and the like, making answers hard to find and leading to even more RTFM clutter.
-lumping WM support threads with the aforementioned, leading to 'advertising' that some users find objectionable.
-WM/group buy/esentially non-profit/BM ambiguity, leading to everyone taking a piss.
-gmail craziness, which has actually been fixed nicely with the tech docs.
though the mess is mostly growth-based and essentially blameless, it's palpable and really needs attention.  the [THREAD TYPE] convention hasn't and won't mitigate the "hey, first post, is there a psychic that knows where i botched my 1176 kit?" threads, because uninitiated users are oblivious to such things (much like the metas, and as always the search function  ::)).  leaving it as-is for the sake of comfort and continuity isn't going to help the forum adapt long-term, the growing pains from which are already evident.  to reorganize, i propose:

• Discussion
    • Drawing Board (as-is.)
    • Studio A (as is.)
    • Brewery (as is.)
    Building and Support
    • Projects In Progress/User Builds (for stuff that is in proto, not intended/sufficiently documented for a group project, or a completed project showcase not intended for support.)
    • Commercial Gear Support (for questions/exploration of non-DIY items.)
    • General DIY Projects/Support (official build docs/support threads for past and current established projects.)
    • WM Projects/Support (exactly as it reads, an offshoot of the previous category to keep it all in one place.  if you can buy the board in the WM, the help thread is here.)
    Marketplace
    • White Market (as is.)
    • Grey Market (group buys on parts and 'essentially gratis' board runs.)
    • Black Market (only for individual users offloading individual items.)

EDIT: looks like the marketplace is being addressed, beat ethan to the post by a matter of seconds.  the rest is still valid IMO.

keeping things organized takes work, but without it the chatter is going to get unbearable and the tiffs will only continue.  old users want new users to find stuff properly, new users apparently need better guidance through better structure.  group buys have no designated place, some WM users feel the need to dictate such a place.  studio a was a welcome addition but was just that: an addition.  it didn't address the problems with the rest of the forum's structure.

if trusted users were given organizational privilege for moving past threads to new homes without necessarily wielding an almighty mod hammer, i'd be the first in line... assuming i'm 'trustworthy' material  ;D.  i'm not intending to ***** or undercut anyone's efforts here, ethan has already made a go at this and lord knows the guy works his ass off.  it's just apparent from comments made by some of the forum's 'power users' (lol) in the 'SPIRIT' thread that there are still serious problems for which i'm proposing a solution.  please discuss at your leisure.

Couldn't agree more..  I proposed this on the GSSL help thread not long ago as it's over 250 pages long with masses of repetition, but being a noob I was (understandably) blanked!  :-[
I feel bad for the person who's lumped with the job of condensing all that info, but it does appear necessary, and will indeed make life easier for everyone in the future!

I think an faq is needed in each build thread. Also, diyrecordingequipment seems to be a well organized site and could be a great template for a wiki style project info site. Why we don't have a wiki is beyond me.

gemini86 said:
Why we don't have a wiki is beyond me.

we have a wiki. just that no one uses it or updates whatever has been added. I even forgot the link to it.

All these grand plans of organised info are good of course. But that assumes all info is always updated to the correct place. With the current way this forum works that's not going to happen, and I don't say that as a bad thing, just an observable fact.

The current trend seems to be that a feeler thread turns into an order thread that turns into a build thread that turns into batch two order thread etc. loop ad infinitum with reliable info sprinkled at random. At worst people start organising parts orders in that same thread.  ;D

I foresee no easy solutions, apart from annoyingly extreme moderation (with moderator edits and deletes and folks that always agree with them!), and that assumes moderators that are willing to do it. None of that is gonna happen.

I dont think it should be called grey market. Grey market implies something totally different and could be confusing or misleading.

You are better off creating a new term like Yellow or Amber Market? Like in the Red, Amber and Green in traffic lights. It's like its in the between stages.

Kingston said:
All these grand plans of organised info are good of course. But that assumes all info is always updated to the correct place. With the current way this forum works that's not going to happen, and I don't say that as a bad thing, just an observable fact.
I wholeheartedly agree. It just seems that 'business as usual' wrt how the forum works isn't working for some of the very members who would recognize it as such, and won't likely work in the future as membership continues to expand. If it doesn't get addressed, I can see it spinning out of control to a point where it's too murky to bother wading through. I don't think it would take too much over-moderation, just a moved thread here and a "please start a new thread in the appropriate area" there. IMO that would do a LOT to limit "me too" and misplaced posts, or at least sequester it a bit.

canidoit said:
I dont think it should be called grey market. Grey market implies something totally different and could be confusing or misleading.
Semantics are whatever. Ethan's already handling this with the even more aptly named 'free market' and new black market rules. Aside from potential issues with an auction format and sale items cross-posted in other forums, I welcome the change.

Latest posts

Back