ps for G7 : supplyvoltages quite low : why , any loss?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nashkato

well , i got 2 capsules from dale (they sound great, like them better than the sparepart ck12 from akg).

in my ps i got 125 V loaded on the anode of the ef86. i know 20% tolerance in tubegear is usual and mine isn´t far away from that border and the mic works as far as i can say well ,too.

-are there any problems in running the mic permanently with this voltages.?

-how could i rise the current.? (already did the 5K suggestion)

-why is it that low.? (it´s a double ps and the second one has better voltages (about 150 V loaded) it´s the same 9V toroid running into 2 different 15V toroids(one has got 7,5VA the other 3,2VA) are there that great tolerances in manufacturing?)(supply from the power station?)

Hi!

I experienced similar things when using back to back transformer configuration.
I once bought two 10VA 230-12V trannies of the same brand and wired them back to back.230-12 into the 12V secondary of the second one and I got out 220V aprox. I had another transformer laying around that was 230-12V, too but a different manufacturer. I hooked it up the same way and I got out 180V. I think that back to back just isn't so well calculable when you use transformers not made for that purpose...
My suggestion is to use a 12V-230 tranny instead of the 15V-230V configuration. This should rise your voltages!

Have a nice day!
Stefan

Do a search for G7 power supply this seems to be a common problem. I am not a fan of back to back transformers.

It seems toroidal transformers works better backwards.... :?

I had the same problem with my G7-psu. Not enough voltage, though the transformer had the right specs. Changed it to a 15V toroidal and no problem !

I don't think it has anything to do with the core shape.

If I cared I would measure the transformers that work and find
The real VA rating
heat rise differences
wire size and/or resistance

Back