PSU PCB component placement review

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Groner

Hope this belongs here..!

Working on my first PCB design; before I start with routing, I would love to hear some opinions on my component placement. Are there components that are too close? Anything to be arranged in a more useful way?

Is there a good reason to go 4-layer (instead of 2-layer) here?

Files are here:
[removed]

D17 is in fact a connector, LED is mounted on the chassis. And yes, the 'lytics are that big!

Thanks!

Samuel

In my experience, I haven?t found PSUs to be very picky about layout. Just don?t make any ground loops. 2 layers should be fine here ? just depends on how compact you want to make it.

One thing I?d do is make room for the regulators to be heat-sinked. Of course that depends on what type of heat-sink you use. Don?t let the regulator?s heat-sinks touch each or any other part of the circuit.

Is there any particular reason you?re using two axial mounted 470uFs in parallel instead of one radial mounted 1000uF? You can get 80V, 1000uF radial Panasonics under 1? long, so they are easily mounted in a 1U rack space.

Thanks for your answer!

I'll run two OPA 551 on the +-28 V and three 5534 on the +-18 V, so I guess I don't need heatsinking for the regulators, right?

I want to use the 125° C rated long life 'lytics from Panasonic; the 1000 uF is 40 mm long instead of 30 mm, so I use two 470 uF. If I can use the boardsize as shown, their size is OK, otherwise I'll replace them with radial mounted ones.

Samuel

Depends on what you are driving with the OPA 551s and 5534s. I'd at least use small heatsinks. If those regulators heat up any at all, they won't source very much current.

For caps, Pan series TSHA, 105° C, 3000 hour life caps should serve you well unless you're planning to sell it to the military. :wink: Digi Key part # for 1000uF/80V is P7498-ND and it's only 25mm dia by 25mm long.

Back