PT Barnum was right.....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn! I need 4m. Then it's no longer a bargain anymore...131483€. I guess I have to think about it again.

Last edited:
There are a lot of audio-phools out there, but not many that would spend $60k for speaker wires....

JR
I have met some of those fools.
They also buy expensive power cables.

speaking of fools, did I ever tell you the story of the green and orange cables?
I once was asked that since I wire studios do I make power cables. I said sure. So I was asked to make some so they could hear them. So I made 2 cables that were identical in every way except one was orange flexo sleeve the other green flexo sleeve. Again the rest of awg, wire manufacture, etc was all the same down to the ends.
sure enough, the test went as follows.
first they played music using their already expensive power cable on their amp. Then we swap in one of mine and play music again. Then the other one of mine, then back to their expensive cable. The end was as follows: my cables did not sound as good as their expensive cables. However my cables sounded good. Use the green one for subs, use the orange one for preamps.

Speaking of orange cables.....Many years ago, a friend sent me a copy of an article published in The Absolute Sound magazine. They were doing "subjective listening" tests to a variety of very expensive speaker cables, with comments like ..."the upper midrange sounded a bit sandy..." or "....it lacked air on massed string passages..." etc.

They also bought a 50' orange electrical extension cord (14 AWG) from Home Depot, chopped off the Edison AC connectors and used Pomona banana plugs instead. They listened and it received favorable remarks except for things like "....didn't sound as "fast...."" ....lacking a little in finesse...."

A followup in the Letters to the Editor in a later magazine had a guy worrying that he could not find the orange cord at Home Depot, only black in 14 AWG. He was concerned there was something special about the orange version.

Sheesh.....

Bri

Last edited:
What will really cook your noodle is the guy who asked me, demoed the cables and made the comments about one for subs and one for preamps is a mastering engineer who is known and gets a lot of work

Tell him you understand what makes the green good for subs and the orange good for preamps. You can custom modify all the gear to apply this secret technique. Should be good for at least 50k.

Back