Pultec EQP circuits with and without the interstage transformer... Do they sound similar?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

I bought the Klark EQP clone today and it adds something I like for bass and vocals, but I can see myself using only two settings on the thing (the typical 30hz boost cut for bass) and I find highs boosted 4 and 4kHz sounds good for my vocal chain (with me singing). I could probably build a very simple box cheap if I were to build only the tube and eq stages (no transformers) and keep it unbalanced to insert into my preamp. The first schematic is the one I would like to build. Would it sound similar to the second?

Here are the two in question:
WITHOUT:
pultec-eqp-1a-1198065.gif

WITH:
pultech.gif

The MEQ is a fantastic EQ for vocals, not too many people build that one,

the lack of innerstage xfmr would probably be a bit noisier than the circuit with.

there is an Triad HS-29 0n evilbay right now for big bucks, truly an amazing coil,

MEQ is a nice eq indeed .

Just finished a stereo one using solid state for buffer and makeup gain followed by balanced line driver. Of course, it doesn't give the sound of transformers and tubes -- but so doesn't the Klark, several reviews say.

Anyway, it makes it easier and cheaper to build, and S/N is more than good too. Same could be done with above circuit.

The MEQ is a fantastic EQ for vocals, not too many people build that one,

the lack of innerstage xfmr would probably be a bit noisier than the circuit with.

there is an Triad HS-29 0n evilbay right now for big bucks, truly an amazing coil,

Thanks! So one of these is an MEQ as opposed to EQP?

I know little to nothing about pultec but I do like having the tube between the neve build I have and my interface. Even EQ "bypassed", I am pretty sure it sounds better (to my ears).

I just found a gut shot in another thread here and it looks like two signal transformers only. So I'm guessing what I'm hearing is something more like the top schematic.

EDIT: not quite... the top schematic has only one preamp tube. This has two. Now I'm not sure what I'm hearing.

Attachments

• 5KRZU09.jpg
    5KRZU09.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 30
Pultec PEQ1A versus MEQ5.

MEQ is more of a midrange eq. So probably better for vocals ?

MEQ5 gives low boost and high boost, together covering the entire frequency range, and a mid cut. The latter with variable bandwidth (the narrower, the deeper), if wanted.

Unlike PEQ, which uses one multitapped inductor (rest is RC filter), the MEQ uses three multitapped inductors (cost factor). Changing the frequencies (LC filter) to need is not that difficult.

Schematics for both can be found here:
https://gyraf.dk/gy_pd/pultec/pultec.htm

Latest posts

Back