pultec inductors.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toby

anybody know where i might get hold of any pultec type inductors cheaper than sowter. i'm in the uk. I need 16 for a desk i'm working on. has anybody wound their own?

Toby

Hi toby,

I think the only inductors specifically made as 'vintage' replacements for the original Pultec are available from Sowter and Cinemag US.

They are both about 30 quid of so, so I'll be betting 16 isn't economical!! - maybe you can get a discount for bulk orders???

However I remember people used inductors from Farnell that were cheap - a couple of pounds per mH value. The brand was Toko. I think Steffen also used some other cheap brand, IIRC edcor or something?

I'm sure others will be along with more info soon.

A pultec loaded console??? more info please!!!

Tom

this is the material I use for my pultec style inductors:

WWW.epcos.com

dl a english datasheet here:

http://www.epcos.com/inf/80/db/fer_01/02240231.pdf

core:

B65811-J1600-K41

coil former is:

B65821-N1005-D1

mounting clamp:

B65812-A2203

for calculating inductance check:

http://home.t-online.de/home/micro.wave/inductor.html

core Al value is 1600nH

hope this helps :)

steff

big thanks guys,

actually building an all tube desk, just finalizing the EQ and compressors designs, but i've built the guts of the rest of it. just need to get metal pressed.

You can make any inductor track the freqs you want by adjusting the value of capacitance that goes in series with the inductor, within reason, that is...

It never comes out exact, The best way to get your steps right is with your ears. Make the steps as even as possible by cap substitution.
I had good luck with Fair-Rite torroids, 77 metal.
cj

hey kubi,

hear you on the big work!

got all 16 preamps, and all the bufferamps for the pan and aux stuff already on pcb and working -7 pcbs per channel so far minus comp and EQ .

just trying to get all the metal work fabricated, proving difficult, and expensive.

cheers for your help guys, i'll trying to get the console put together and working (minus comp and EQ)in the next month so i'll post pic when its more than 100plus circuit board on my workbench!!!!

Toby

Toby, you're much more ambitious than me. I'm building a tube console, but it's pretty bare-bones compared to yours: 10 x 2 (with two stereo returns), no preamps, no EQ, two aux sends, and very simple PFL and monitoring facilities.

Looking forward to the pics...

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Toby, you're much more ambitious than me. I'm building a tube console, but it's pretty bare-bones compared to yours: 10 x 2 (with two stereo returns), no preamps, no EQ, two aux sends, and very simple PFL and monitoring facilities. [/quote]

Hey Dave, are we going to launch that mixer when we record some of your songs? I'm getting my drum chops back together just for the occasion. :cool:

You bet! I took some time off this summer, but I don't really have the bread to go away on vacation, so I guess it's electronics and music for me (which really isn't a bad way to spend one's time off, anyway).

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/618/574.pdf

You can use a combination of off the shelf ones like these. It may not sound exactly the same, but it should be workable.

The "magnetic shielded" ones on this page are equivalent to the Farnell inductors that some of our European friends have used with success in Pultec circuits:
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/618/555.pdf

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]You bet! I took some time off this summer, but I don't really have the bread to go away on vacation, so I guess it's electronics and music for me (which really isn't a bad way to spend one's time off, anyway).[/quote]

Very well then! I have a room that I can work in now. We have to talk. Give me a call. I want to see that mixer.

BTW. I'd like to build a simple 10x2 summing mixer with a pair of 1272s or 3415s. I may have a question or two about how to make that work.

cheers again guys,

the circuit i'm using is based more around a Klangfilm, so the values don't have to be exactly like the pultec.

Toby

cj-

so are you using one of the 1inch 77 metal toroid cores from fair-rite? they have one that has an AL value of 1600 (5977001401), which seems like the right ballpark. seems like newark and mouser will order them, but the minimum quantities are steep.

ed

here is the chart for fair-rite torroids.
I use mainly the bottom 3, since the Al number is so high.
People laughed at my "hockey puck" inductor, but you know what, it was the easiest to wind, had the fewest turns which means high Q, and it was cheap! (free sample)
Let me know if anyohne is interested and I can try for some more samples.
The stuff is brittle. every time they send samples, half the lot come in broken!
maybe thats whay the ship so many!
Thats the Al number on the far-rite, (get it! far-rite ha ha)
the -- marks would be filled with 77.
the dims are self explanatorium.
cj

fair-rite_1.jpg

[quote author="cjenrick"]NYD, are you designing from scratch or is your tube mixer based on a previous design? Altec, Ampex maybe?
Thanks!
cj[/quote]

From scratch. It's just a passive network with tube make-up gain at the outputs. It's specifically for mixdown, not really for tracking.

Back