Punches and Project boxes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Whats the best way for cutting squares and circles in Chassis for XLR, IEX and other plugs. I got a good drill bit that makes perfect circles for 1/4 connects but for the rest I been using a dremel/drill and it comes out pretty messy because I can't keep my dremil still. Any suggestions on how to make a clean square for the IEC and a clean circle for the XLR mounts. I am using neutrik chasses mounts. I know greenlee makes a good square punch but its too expensive. As is there round punches. Suggestions?

I use a variable speed jigsaw( about $40 from your local tool house), with a metal cutting blade on mine. Works really well for me.

Once you've got the square marked, drill a hole large enough for the jigsaw blade in opposite corners ( two holes) Cut each way from each hole, and whala, instant perfect square.

ju

I got so frustrated with that so I now go to this company. http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/. They provide a free easy to use software to design everything. Then you can even get your quote and make your purchase from the software interface. They ship within a couple days.

They only advertise for front panels, but they can drill, puch, and engrave any part of the box. You can use your own material. I think the prices are ok, I use them often.

A suggestion... Invest in a cheap ($10) caliper from Home Depot and use it to measure your components perfectly.

-mike

I had my first experience with a greenlee punch today. I did a 3/4" round hole in 1/8' thick aluminum for a tube socket. I thought everything was going well, so I unscrewed the punch-only to see that it hadn't gone thru all the aluminum all the way. I rethreaded the punch but because of the aluminum hole being bent or something I didn't thread it right and couldn't tell-stripped the whole damn thing :twisted: :mad: . Oh well at least they're my schools :roll: and I didn't pay for them. Shite.

Joel

[quote author="fum"]I use a variable speed jigsaw( about $40 from your local tool house), with a metal cutting blade on mine. Works really well for me.
Once you've got the square marked, drill a hole large enough for the jigsaw blade in opposite corners ( two holes) Cut each way from each hole, and whala, instant perfect square.
ju[/quote]

I use a technique similar to this. But I drill a bunch of holes close together... and no matter what, I keep my square hole 1 or 2mm smaller than the part that needs to go in. Then I FILE until the part fits snugly.

The keyword here is PATIENCE.... PATIENCE... measure twice, then file, then try the part, then file again, repeat .....

If you're getting tired, or losing patience. STOP. Come back the next day to work on it.

For big holes, up to 1", I use step drill bit. 7/8" is the perfect hole for my TRS/XLR combo jacks.

I'm sorry but Dremel won't cut it *pardon the pun*. Get a small bench drill press... about $80. I only use Dremel for emergency 1/8" holes I forgot to drill on my bench drill press... or drilling a bigger hole in the PCB for a component to fit.

Invest also in a digital caliper. Cheap around $16.

There might be an ad in the Black Market for a particular punch you could use for Neutrik D-Series (24mm) :razz: :shock: :grin:
I might have one left! :grin: :shock: :razz:

Check it out and PM me if interested...
Charlie

Latest posts

Back