Pye 4060 with PS2/49/1742 PSU to American

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velo

GDIY Supporter
I received a pair of Pye 4060 powered by this PSU wired with a UK "Type G" mains plug (230V 50Hz) and I want to power this from American 120V 60Hz "Type B".

Does anyone know if this PSU can step from 120V or if I should exercise extreme caution and obtain a permanent voltage converter? Or maybe there is some D.I.Y. transformer project I could mount inside the box?

I am guessing that converting the US 60Hz to 50Hz would be expensive and unnecessary.

Thoughts? Plans? Just grab one of these for $30? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pyle-Pro/5013321921

Attachments

• IMG_1414.JPG
    IMG_1414.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1402.JPG
    IMG_1402.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1407.JPG
    IMG_1407.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1404.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1408.JPG
    IMG_1408.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1409.JPG
    IMG_1409.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1411.JPG
    IMG_1411.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
You should open up the power supply and see if the power transformer has two windings on the primary side. If not, then use a different supply.

You should open up the power supply and see if the power transformer has two windings on the primary side. If not, then use a different supply.
Well, I see two thicker yellow wires, one black, one red leading to a fuse, and a brown wire. The red/brown become a twisted pair coming from the DPDT on/off switch. The two yellow are wired to what appears to be a bridge rectifier assuming those are large bolted-on diodes. The black wire is hard to trace. I see a black wire also used as ground wired from what is known to be ground on the Type G plug.

Attachments

• IMG_1420.JPG
    IMG_1420.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1421.JPG
    IMG_1421.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1422.JPG
    IMG_1422.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Hi,

Great to have an original.

if possible and you have time. when you have it open can you take some close up pictures of inductors and oscillator. The oscillator should be a ferrite core with winding.

There is still some unknowns about these parts on the DIY projects and the only online pictures are not the clearest.

Thanks

You could just use a stepup transformer. Thats the easiest and quickest way.
I've now got it running on a 2-prong $20 wall wort travel converter coming out of a power conditioner to get some safety back and it sounds pretty good.

I'll likely order a step-up with a UK Type G outlet since the wall wort has the ground lifted.

The travel adapter apparently has some magic at low wattage. The thing is fairly lightweight and has two 5V USB charging ports so I know it is doing some kind of low-wattage conversion.

Back