PYE Compressor/Limiter Thread *boards shipping* BOM up!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got both channels working, but I can only adjust the freq. at D1 cathode down to 320khz for both channels, it seems to be compressing ok, Looks like the waveform is correct at D1also.
Has anyone had this issue of not getting the freq. to 250khz?

Last edited:
I got both channels working, but I can only adjust the freq. at D1 cathode down to 320khz for both channels, it seems to be compressing ok, Looks like the waveform is correct at D1also.
Has anyone had this issue of not getting the freq. to 250khz?
I forgot to mention when I finished the first channel I was able to dial in 250khz, but after completing the second channel I went back to the first channel to make sure it was still at 250khz and it changed to a much higher level,, very weird, and the second channel the same.
Can anyone help me to figure out why this jumped to a higher level?

I forgot to mention when I finished the first channel I was able to dial in 250khz, but after completing the second channel I went back to the first channel to make sure it was still at 250khz and it changed to a much higher level,, very weird, and the second channel the same.
Can anyone help me to figure out why this jumped to a higher level?
I don't know why I keep posting on this group, don't think anyone cares LOL
anyway I changed the trimmer pot on the Monolithic board to 25k and now I can dial in the 250khz. The compression seems to be working better with the correct freq set.
Adios Amigos

Lots of people read and rarely if ever post. Please keep posting.
Hi Jen
I am busy with other things, but I will post once this compressor is in my rack, It's hard to tell if this is compressing properly, it's not like any other compressors I built, very transparent, It's unfortunate the person that created this project is gone, seems like he is very talented, and probability could have answered a lot of questions people had on this build.

Last edited:
I don't know why I keep posting on this group, don't think anyone cares LOL
anyway I changed the trimmer pot on the Monolithic board to 25k and now I can dial in the 250khz. The compression seems to be working better with the correct freq set.
Adios Amigos
I'm interested and following this thread. Had mine working, had an issue with the meters not going to zero and then shorted something while poking around. I will get this project out in the near future. From memory I had issues with the oscillator chip not dialling in but wasn't sure if this was my scope setup or the build issue. I do not recall a full and precise setup available on this thread when doing a full trawl. If people start posting there setup procedures we might be able to get a definitive guide for this.

I'm interested and following this thread. Had mine working, had an issue with the meters not going to zero and then shorted something while poking around. I will get this project out in the near future. From memory I had issues with the oscillator chip not dialling in but wasn't sure if this was my scope setup or the build issue. I do not recall a full and precise setup available on this thread when doing a full trawl. If people start posting there setup procedures we might be able to get a definitive guide for this.
I tried the short setup Abe had in his notes, I was able to dial in unity for input/output, and setting the oscillator is straight forward, but the other procedures of setup didn't work as he described, or I am not following correctly.

Hello, long time lurker here.
The PYE Compressor has been my dream for almost 15 years, it surely is magical...
I've had this thread bookmarked for ages, just a quick question; is this possible?

Thanks from Iceland,

-Geir

I have done some experimenting with the transformer-based oscillator and have had some success.
I used a small metal box RF inductor from a tape machine with one coil measuring about 4.5 ohms resistance.
Using that as the larger winding with the diode across it in the original PYE schematic, I wound a secondary coil over it.
I used #38 awg magnet wire and wound 27 turns and attached them to the unused terminals on the other side.
Keep in mind that the direction of the coil affects if it will oscillate or not, so some experimentation may be needed there.
Right now the frequency output is around 230KHz, which is right in the ballpark for proper function of the circuit.
The coils I used had a screw-adjustment cover over the coil, which can change the frequency a bit.

Hope this helps anyone looking to try the original oscillator design for this circuit.

I have done some experimenting with the transformer-based oscillator and have had some success.
I used a small metal box RF inductor from a tape machine with one coil measuring about 4.5 ohms resistance.
Using that as the larger winding with the diode across it in the original PYE schematic, I wound a secondary coil over it.
I used #38 awg magnet wire and wound 27 turns and attached them to the unused terminals on the other side.
Keep in mind that the direction of the coil affects if it will oscillate or not, so some experimentation may be needed there.
Right now the frequency output is around 230KHz, which is right in the ballpark for proper function of the circuit.
The coils I used had a screw-adjustment cover over the coil, which can change the frequency a bit.

Hope this helps anyone looking to try the original oscillator design for this circuit.
Hello!

You wouldnt happen to have a oscilloscope capture of how the waveform looks?

That would great, i am also experementing with the transformer based oscillator and i have a pretty stable 250khz going.
I will share some info asap, i just have to get better from this fever i have :(

Latest posts

Back