PYE Compressor/Limiter Thread *boards shipping* BOM up!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered the case and pcb's from collective cases, I noticed on the  Pie 3.14 schematic they don't show the input/output transformers, but have them in the BOM, is this an option?

I hope this jumping into this build project was a mistake, doesn't seem like there is much action here anymore.

Thanks for the reply
Has anyone found a 1000uf,50v with a package size 10-11mm dia for C8, all I can find is a 12.5mm, won't fit properly on the pcb, the space layout is too small.

Has anyone found a 1000uf,50v with a package size 10-11mm dia for C8, all I can find is a 12.5mm, won't fit properly on the pcb, the space layout is too small.
This might help, from the errata/build notes:

Capacitor Orientation – C10 has 2 “+” markings on the board. Correct orientation, “+” is to the right . C8 doesn’t leave much room for mounting. This cap may be added to the underside of the board if you have large standoffs for board mounting or sat up high above C11 and C10 for shorter standoffs.

This might help, from the errata/build notes:

Capacitor Orientation – C10 has 2 “+” markings on the board. Correct orientation, “+” is to the right . C8 doesn’t leave much room for mounting. This cap may be added to the underside of the board if you have large standoffs for board mounting or sat up high above C11 and C10 for shorter standoffs.
Thanks JMan for the heads up on C10,
Maybe I will just use insulated wire to the pcb, and have C8 strapped to the chassis.

Thanks JMan for the heads up on C10,
Maybe I will just use insulated wire to the pcb, and have C8 strapped to the chassis.
Sure!
If it were me, I’d probably try the suggested method of mounting C8 on the underside of the board first, but of course, that completely depends on how much room you have.

I hope this jumping into this build project was a mistake, doesn't seem like there is much action here anymore.
It does take a lot of time as it is not a well put together build. I've read all of this thread and it started as almost a collective build and figure it out as you go. The setup procedure is not very clear or definitive. I'm never really sure about the chip based oscillator and meter setup and would love it if someone could post on how to make a traditional one. Some other guy on this forum sells his version of the PYE. They came after this build so probably used a lot of ground work covered here but they don't share the winding / core information. Apart to say it can be easily built.

Last edited:
It does take a lot of time as it is not a well put together build. I've read all of this thread and it started as almost a collective build and figure it out as you go. The setup procedure is not very clear or definitive. I'm never really sure about the chip based oscillator and meter setup and would love it if someone could post on how to make a traditional one. Some other guy on this forum sells his version of the PYE. They came after this build so probably used a lot of ground work covered here but they don't share the winding / core information. Apart to say it can be easily built.
I feel your comments, I am in the beginning build phase, just received the pcb's from collective cases, but the chassis and face are back ordered. I will use the Cinemag CML1-15 for the input transformer, and the EDCOR WSM600/15k for the output transformer, and the EDCOR XSM600/10k for the sidechain as per the org BOM. it seems like the output transformer should be reversed 15k/600?

Last edited:
Can anyone share where you installed the on/off switch, I haven't received the case yet, but it looks like there is no on/off switch location on the face of the collective case.

Can anyone share where you installed the on/off switch, I haven't received the case yet, but it looks like there is no on/off switch location on the face of the collective case.
I don't have the Collective Cases panel, but I believe that it is combined with the bypass switch (I think it is Bypass/In/Off), top right knob of the panel.

Your Right, I didn't see that at first looking a pictures of the face. What panel did you use?

This is one of several projects that I started very early on in my DIY adventures and never quiiiiite got around to finishing. Right now it's sitting with a hand-drilled raw aluminum front panel that, if I ever get around to finishing the wiring and testing, will be replaced, probably with a custom panel (my electronics skills are crap compared to most folks here, so I make myself feel better with my significantly more practiced design skills 😅).

Got one channel built, It is passing audio, but no compression, the meter is not responding to audio. When I remove TR11 the audio is much higher a level and the meter starts to respond,
Also the meter is sitting mid way with no audio applied.
I have not calibrated the 555 to 250khz yet, waiting to get a frequency generator/counter this week , I am guessing the chopper will not work until I calibrate it.

Can someone tell me in the Threshold Trimmer adjustment procedure below what is a
(probe lead DC coupled with a square pad mean?) I am guessing it means take the lead of the signal generator and inject a 1khz square wave at -24dbm at the end of R50, sorry for my ignorance but I don't know what DC coupled means.

R52 - Threshold Trimmer - This adjusts the threshold, as well as the bias of the chopper, similar to a Q bias adjustment on an 1176. Place a (probe lead DC coupled on the end of R50 with the square pad). Inject -24dbm 1khz into the input with the Threshold(Input) Pot wide open(Full CW)

Thanks, Tony

It was the only one that mouser had in stock at the time. I got it to fit and work, just not as elegant as the bournes trimmers. +1 on the schematic thing. I haven't been able to get mine going yet. Once I do I'm going to write up a little build guide for it though as this project kind of needs one. There are a bunch of questionable things with the project that need clarification.
Hi sr1200, I am presently trying to get one channel on the PYE compressor to work, it looks like your one of the few people who got it to work properly:) did you every get around to writing up a build guide for this?

Can anyone let me know which is correct, C7 has the + at emitter of TR4 on rev 3.14 schematic, and the original schematic has the neg. lead of C7 at the emitter, The PCB has the neg going to the emitter as per the original schematic, Is that a mistake on rev 3.14 schematic

Attachments

• C7 3.14.png
    C7 3.14.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 20
  • C7_Org.png
    C7_Org.png
    371.3 KB · Views: 17
Back