Quad Eight Power supply amp ratings

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andybaker28

I am looking to build a new power supply for a quad eight Pacifica that I recently bought. I am still waiting for it to arrive, but in the meantime I am hoping to either build or have built a power supply that would work as needed. Curious if anyone knows what the amp ratings would be needed for the different voltages. The supply is +-28V, +-15V, another -28V for relays. Hoping I can know the amp rating for each of these supplies.

Thanks!

you probably have this already , i'll try to dig out more power supply specific infos

Attachments

• Quad_Eight_Pacifica_Manual.pdf
    13.3 MB · Views: 25
one of the 3 supplies in that rack . The sticker says -28 but it is a +- 15v :)

Attachments

• tempImageOBI5to.png
    tempImageOBI5to.png
    927.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
just a quick snapshot , it looks like i'm missing a 28v

Attachments

• tempImageWMFqPV.png
    tempImageWMFqPV.png
    977 KB · Views: 32
  • tempImageLVRqqu.png
    tempImageLVRqqu.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies, the console I bought is a 24 channel. I am a bit confused by the replies I have gotten. I got one reply in an email from a trusted source that said this is the standard for a 24 channel is.
ps8.jpeg
All Stock Series consoles run on 6 basic supply rails.
+28 audio
-28 audio
+15 audio
-15 audio
+24 relays/lamps
48v phantom

This seems to be missing another Plus or Minus 28V that I have seen in the manual and on the faceplate fuse holder marking. I had heard the 24V AC only powered the bulbs in the meters before, but he states they also handle the relays. I was thinking to just replace the bulbs with LED lamps and not worry with a new 24V AC so I am hoping to figure this out as well as the question about the extra 28V, on the front of the supply reads -28V, but in the manual it states it as another +28V.

Attachments

• ps1.jpeg
    ps1.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 19
  • ps6.jpeg
    ps6.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 21
  • frame loading.jpeg
    frame loading.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 31
Yes, Ken Hirsch would be a very good place to start.

I'm thinking you may have 8 bus out and a stereo master out and st tape out and st monitor out for a total
of 14 ca127 or ca137 DOA cards. Then if there is only one DOA on each of the input channels you have a total of
38 DOA's . That means likely 5 or 6 amp +- 28 volt for good headroom. But Ken is the guy who will know what
the Pacifica is and needs. (maybe there are no DOA's on the 24 input cards and that changes things greatly)

There are no CA cards in a Pacifica
All functions are on the “main” cards
It’s a great sounding console
I thought I pretty much had everything you need in the manual pdf.
we just put a led rope in the meter section, works great

edit
I thought I had more notes in that manual pdf, but I see I don't. I think I have the power measurements at the shop. It's been about a decade though :)

cheers
Alan

Last edited:
Hi folks...

Andy, I had a custom built power supply built a while ago now to run up to 12 Q* modules, but since then I've racked my ex-Burbank Studios modules in pairs.... It's in brand new condition and would probably suit your requirements if you haven't sorted the problem out yet. My number in Aus is: 0408 297 726.

All the best,
Andy

In my Coronado, they are all 3 amp supplies as indicated by the fuse holder. I recently purchased and installed new supplies in the main audio supply, and upgraded to 4 amp supplies. Replace the fuse holders, or at least inspect them, as mine were corroded and arcing inside the holder since there wasn't great surface contact.
I think these are identical supplies, so I can re-check what I bought.
Are your hookups labeled in the back of the console and on the back of the power supply?

Is this the console that was for sale in Malaysia ?

Attachments

• IMG_4777.JPG
    IMG_4777.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 20
In my Coronado, they are all 3 amp supplies as indicated by the fuse holder. I recently purchased and installed new supplies in the main audio supply, and upgraded to 4 amp supplies. Replace the fuse holders, or at least inspect them, as mine were corroded and arcing inside the holder since there wasn't great surface contact.
Are your hookups labeled in the back of the console and on the back of the power supply?

Hi there, I should receive the console on the 9th of feb and yes this one came off of reverb from Malaysia. Seems I have all the info I need, I will wait till the console arrives and see what condition the power supply is in. Maybe just replace supplies as needed and keep original case. I want to thank everyone for their help. I imagine I will have many questions as I begin the restoration. So good to have info from those experienced with these!

Hi folks...

Andy, I had a custom built power supply built a while ago now to run up to 12 Q* modules, but since then I've racked my ex-Burbank Studios modules in pairs.... It's in brand new condition and would probably suit your requirements if you haven't sorted the problem out yet. My number in Aus is: 0408 297 726.

All the best,
Andy

Here are a few photos of where the power connects, I do see a place on here that is labeled 24V AC lamps, and also saw it in a power supply photo but so far no one else seems to have this.. Hmmm I do see where there is a second +28V on the console connector instead of the label on the front of the supply that says -28V. Anyhow, I guess I will just wait till it shows up and see if there is a fire when I turn it on.

Attachments

• POWER INPUT.jpeg
    POWER INPUT.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 15
  • pow supply connect 2.jpeg
    pow supply connect 2.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 12
  • video-power supply connects.mp4
    3.7 MB
  • ps1.jpeg
    ps1.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I am looking to build a new power supply for a quad eight Pacifica that I recently bought. I am still waiting for it to arrive, but in the meantime I am hoping to either build or have built a power supply that would work as needed. Curious if anyone knows what the amp ratings would be needed for the different voltages. The supply is +-28V, +-15V, another -28V for relays. Hoping I can know the amp rating for each of these supplies.

Thanks!
Dear Andy. I desperately look for the pinout of the input modules. I like to bring them back to life. I noticed that you were looking for the schematics a while ago. Where you successful finding them in better quality. I would appriciate your help. best regards

QUAD-EIGHT: PACIFICA / VENTURA CONSOLE EDGE PINOUTS

I was just contacted via email for Pacifica edge pinouts so here is the scanned doc set for anyone that needs them.
NOTE: this also applies to Ventura consoles.

Ken Hirsch / Director of Engineering
Orphan Audio www.orphanaudio.com
Quad-Eight Electronics www.quadeightelectronics.com
Electrodyne Audio www.electrodyneaudio.com (a division of Orphan Audio)

"Education is the cure for everything"

Attachments

• QEE-Pacifica_Ventura-PINOUTS.pdf
    149.9 KB · Views: 0
Back