Quadrant Fader

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matriachamplification

Wall Thomas
Hello GDIY

UPDATED May, 7 2021

At this time and the indefinite future my family and I have decided to pass on any and all things relating to the Painton Fader outside of discussions pertaining to the relation to the history of the REDD and other relevant consoles.

Upon the strict advice of our legal and medical team we will not be responding to any aspects of this thread and advice you to contact Sound Techniques directly with any questions.

Thanks for helping us in this area :)

Be Well

Wallace and Family

Last edited:
I have been asked to post this on behalf of Palomar Electronics Group:

Painton Ltd. is a company owned by Palomar Electronics Group in Southern California.

The Painton name, trademark, copyright and rights to manufacture are properties of Palomar Electronics Group.

We are currently finishing up the brand new Painton fader.

Inquire about ordering at:
  info@soundtechniques .com

Gareth Connor said:
I have been asked to post this on behalf of Palomar Electronics Group:

Painton Ltd. is a company owned by Palomar Electronics Group in Southern California.

The Painton name, trademark, copyright and rights to manufacture are properties of Palomar Electronics Group.

We are currently finishing up the brand new Painton fader.

Inquire about ordering at:
  info@soundtechniques .com
A quick search reveals they also own the trademarks of Ernest Turner, Sound Techniques and Lustraphone. They have owned the Painton trademark since 2016.

Painton Faders Ltd is a UK company registered in the UK. Companies house lists it as dormant. It has one director, Jim Dowler, whom I know quite well, who is ex Trident if memory serves.

There is no Painton Ltd company registered in the UK.

My suspicion is there is a lot of smoke and mirrors involved.

Cheers

Ian

In the interest of blowing away the smoke and getting a clear image on the mirrors, who is the ELMA rep, or who are the ELMA people, who have featured in the discussions?

With thanks,

Gareth Connor said:
In the interest of blowing away the smoke and getting a clear image on the mirrors, who is the ELMA rep, or who are the ELMA people, who have featured in the discussions?

With thanks,

Hello Gareth,

we have been speaking with Mark of Elma America in regards to our educational program as a supplier for our Custom Tube Console of Mr. Thompson-Bell' design.

The help we are offered, I should be clear, is on the process of manufacturing a new Painton Fader design. We have not gone as far as to discuss actual production only made it known that we would be pursuing the Painton Fader until we found someone developing, which you have shared, as well as creating a 3D model for our educational program.

Sifam we discussed mostly meter'ing but had conversed about our desire for an updated Painton Fader design.

I will connect with Sound Techniques regarding this matter. Thank you for letting us know.

Thanks

Wall

Hello GDIY

With the 3D Model of an original Painton Quadrent Fader currently being built, we are addressing the reality of a visual replica with a useable fader design.

Pucho will be spearheading this conversation as it progresses. We are already speaking with both Elma and Sifam in regards to manufacturing as well as support so this is growing legs.

Be Well

Wall
I will? please advise.

Hello GDIY

Today... we celebrate. After discussing details with Danny of Sound Techniques we can say with 100% certainty there is a Official Trademarked Painton Fader of their design. Contact Danny at info@soundtechniques .com for particulars.

I know little about specifics of the ST Painton Fader redesign and cannot answer direct questions.

ELMA does not make Painton Faders and we defer to Sound Techniques for all areas of Painton Faders return.

I should clarify that we EXCLUSIVELY build Mr. Thompson Bell's Custom Tube Console designs.

I will update the header of this thread to state the news now.

Sixty Forty
"Designs of the Past, Made for the Future"

Be Well

There is absolutely no smoke and mirrors at all here.

Gareth in one of the talented team that made the new Sound Techniques desk a reality. The desk isn't some glorified side car with just a bunch of channel strips in a frame, it's a proper top notch desk design throughout.

Ernest Turner meters have been defunct for a long time. Until about 12 years ago, it was possible to buy meters from Sifam which had the same external appearance as the 'Turners' - I purchased dozens myself - until Sifam informed that this was no longer possible due to tooling being retired/parts on the shelf running out, demand not worth the effort etc.

Painton made dozens+ different types of quadrant faders and rotary attenuators etc.

The ones in the EMI REDD weren't the same type/impedance/attenuator type as those in the EMI TG, which weren't the same as those used at the BBC, which weren't the same as the ones used in Sound Techniques, etc., etc...

Actually, most of the quadrant faders in original Sound Techniques desks were made by Elcom as they were less expensive that Painton.

How are you planning to incorporate the S.T. faders into Ian's tube designs? Unless I'm mistaken, Ian's designs use standard 10K audio taper for level control.

Last edited:
Hello Pucho,

I have no idea why this was typed. My apologize. The wife says I was likely thinking about the questions you asked thread you on the history thread I am still sorting through.

We are very sorry to have caused any frustration.

Wall

no worries at all. You had me worried thinking we discussed this and I didn’t remember is all

We had only considered a fader pack of some kind to incorporate into Mr. Thompson-Bell' design. The how/if this is possible we are working on. We are only eager apprentices after all :)

In the event it is impossible, I've need a monitor controller for Unreal Engine spatial audio mixing. I am stuck on this design but eager to hear possibilities and will share some details as this develops later on.

Thanks again for sharing Winston.

And thanks for responding pucho :)

To give a clear view of our Virtual Model I am sharing Devis' model video called Studio Audio Production.

We are imagining our own dream studio virtually in software called Unreal Engine using Devis' models shown in the video.

How are you planning to incorporate the S.T. faders into Ian's tube designs? Unless I'm mistaken, Ian's designs use standard 10K audio taper for level control.
Generally speaking this is true. However, it is possible to create a design that uses 600 ohm faders if necessary. I did this a few years back for a prospective customer. It made the console more complex and expensive but it was possible. I would recommend that if Wall is having custom faders made he should get 10K ones.

Cheers

Ian

Generally speaking this is true. However, it is possible to create a design that uses 600 ohm faders if necessary. I did this a few years back for a prospective customer. It made the console more complex and expensive but it was possible. I would recommend that if Wall is having custom faders made he should get 10K ones.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian.
Makes sense to me.
Since the design of the new Sound Techniques desk incorporates some EQ elements (active mid band) of the later "System 12" desk along with the original 'A Range' design, I don't know what the current fader type is.
If we were speaking purely about an 'A Range', then those channel faders were indeed initially a 600 ohm type (1K log seems also to work without ill effect) with the fader situated right after the mic/line amp (across its output transformer), the fader then feeding the passive EQ which then went into another identical booster/make-up amp.

The main point I wanted to make was that, obviously, details such as this matter. Best to make sure things will jive before forking out for expensive stuff like quadrant faders.

;)

Noted and thanks for the heads up.

Our plan is to build with Alps 10k or some denomination while learning the set up of the original CTC documentation laid out by Mr. Thompson-Bell. Our conversations and goals are always in regards to HOW things are done and not actually taking on a goal as big as redesigning a fader.

The only original design I am working on is called 'The Iron Valve'; a harmonic resonator in the realm of a Manley Massive Passive crossed with a Thermionic Culture Vulture. This is something we are actively persusing, but only as a personal device.

We are not going to go as far as to have something custom made, Our goal is always to find someone building vintage gear in the modern age. Sound Techniques are designing and re-building brands that I love and we are hopeful to build something with the S.T. Paiton Fader.

In this area I will lean on Gareth and Danny as to how or what we think is a good fit :)

Back