Question about NE5532 substitute for Green Pre v.13

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Category 5

I was just wondering if the Burr Brown OPA2604 op-amps are a suitable drop-in replacement for the NE5532 chips in the latest green pre.

I have a few of them left over from a previous project and they're nice chips. Sytek uses them in their 4 channel preamp as 5532 substitutes on request and I was wondering if the green pre would require modification to make them work.

Shane

Hi Shane

This is one of the areas I'd like some feedback on, different opamps in the Green pre. I've only ever used 5532's & 072's (for testing). The 072 was thin & watery, I know it is the wrong type.

Peter

I was actually going to ask the same question this morning-- as I too have a few OPA2604's left over from an abandoned project.

Any input guys?

Daniel

Actually, since I've got enough of both to do two channels, I'll make one with 5532s and one with 2604's and let you guys know how it turns out. Then I can replace whichever I hate with the better option.

Also have a couple of OPA2228's I'll try putting in different spots. Another project recommended that as another alternative in conjunction with the 2604's.

Daniel

Those left over parts sure sound like the paia mod...

I use 2604s everywhere a 5532 handles a mic and I usually give it a shot for replacing 72s as well - sometimes it throws the design off when replacing a 72.

I also used 2604s for the gssl's 5532s.

-james

This is a bit curious to me as I have become a bit more wary of replacing a Bipolar input OA with a Fet input OA. I had been in the habit of using OPA2134 for everything...either that or OP275, which is probably more appropriate in these cases.

Probably the reason that shoving TL072 in place of 5532 (or NJM4558, 4559, 2068 etc.) doesn't sound so good is the surrounding resistor values are inappropriate for a Fet input OA. Don't try to sub a 5532 in a ckt that had TL072...it might oscillate, or it might just be very noisy due to the resistor values being so high.

I can't find a high performance BB OA that is Bipolar input, now that I'm looking closely. OPAx604, OPAx134, OPx132, OPA627,
Maybe OPA228? I don't think I've heard of this one before.

HTH!
Charlie

[quote author="lictme"]Those left over parts sure sound like the paia mod...

I use 2604s everywhere a 5532 handles a mic and I usually give it a shot for replacing 72s as well - sometimes it throws the design off when replacing a 72.

I also used 2604s for the gssl's 5532s.

-james[/quote]

What's the paia mod? Anxious ears await!

Shane

the "paia mod" is in reference to their tube-mic-pre kit...

Among other things (like clean power and a decent tooob), you can swap out the stock 5532s with 2604s or, as suggested by a specific article (can't remember where), you can use a 2604 on the front and a 2228 on the back.

nothing too cool - but, the mod does make the tmp a bit cleaner at high levels.

-james

> I can't find a high performance BB OA that is Bipolar input

B-B invented really high performance op-amps. Well, OK, Julie invented the tube op-amp that made B-B famous. But they did transistor and chip opamps too.

OP-37, now called OPA37, is as bipolar as they come, hi-perf, and old as the hills (older than 5534).

$1.20 ???? Golly, remember when they were $15, and cheap at that price?

[quote author="PRR"]B-B invented really high performance op-amps.[/quote] Yes, I shed a tear or two, when B-B sold out to TI. I'm always leery when companies with great products get bought out by big corps...similar to when an audio co. gets bought up by Harman Group :grin:

OP-37, now called OPA37 is as bipolar as they come, hi-perf, and old as the hills
I now stand corrected! But its funny that you seldom if ever see this recommended for audio. This looks like a good sub for 5534, though pretty much an equivalent.

I am interested to hear your views, PRR, on subbing Fet OAs for Bips without changing ckt values.

Thanks!
Charlie

[quote author="PRR"]...OP-37, now called OPA37...[/quote]That's funny... Analog Devices also makes an OP37 which they say replaces the SE5534 @ gains >5. I didn't realize BB had an OPA37. I've heard reports that the AD sounds quite good and was planning to give it a try ASAP.

Hi microx,
yes, this should be a good alternative, i even used TL072 in an EEM-3000 mod with good results (a "digital" analog delay unit).
"best" is relative... (best sounding? best value matching?)

Latest posts

Back