Questions about line transformers; general and specific

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarmJetGuitar

Hey there. All new here, hope I managed to post in the right sub forum and that someone got a minute.

So I bought myself a Monacor LTR-110 transformer cheap and been trying to figure out where I can put it.
First things first; it's a line transformer at 1:1 or 1:2. Data sheet here: MONACOR: LTR-110
I got a few pieces of gear I'm thinking would benefit from transformer in or outputs... either the subgroups or master output of my DDA Q console which was designed with the Lundahl LL5402 in mind, the in or outputs of my Otari MTR-90 MKII or possibly my DBX 166 that I already did some mods to. The latter would obviously be both cheapest as I'd only need two transformers and the lowest risk.

Ain't no tech wizard at all, but I managed to recap my DDA Q and some other gear without too many fuckups - and added a Jensen JT123-DBX tranny to a 160A. But this is a different matter as the 160A was designed for the Jensen tranny.

Can sum this up as three questions:

1. Which of the gear would be compatible with the transformer? It's a PCB layout. From a mechanic point of view it looks as if it'd fit into the channel boards on my DDA console although that'd take a Neutrik NTM-1 or something similar. Don't think the LTR-110 would be able to handle the task, phantom power and all? Got a wet dream of getting either the Otari or DDA transformer coupled, but it's pricey.

2. How do you determine which transformer would be appropriate for a specific piece of gear? Besides space considerations obviously which would be my own headache.

3. Can you EVER use a line level transformer on the input of a preamp? My gut says no, but guts don't always live up to a decent scientific standard. The LTR-110 can handle 5 volt max and I reckon a pre with phantom power need to be able to handle 48v. as an absolute minimum? Input impedance might be important too? What are the deciding factors? And what would theoretically happen if one just did it anyway? Frying the tranny and/or what comes after it in the circuit as it fails to block the excess volt from phantom power?
What I'm fishing for here is obviously if there's alternatives to the Neutrik NTM-1 or NTM-4 for the preamps in my DDA...

just go by the impedance, 1:1 line is usually 500/600 ohms both sides,

Pultec uses 1:1,

usually a 1:1 line transformer will eat the mic signal due to losses,
there are exceptions, Tamura comes to mind,

Thanks a lot :)

The Monacor LTR-110 is indeed 600 ohm in and 600 + 300 ohms on output whatever that means and the mic inputs of the DDA is 200 ohm so probably a bad idea even if the transformer can handle the volts.
Hmmm... anyone tried adding transformers to a DBX 166?

Saw Gyraf mention somewhere that the LTR-110 don't have that much headroom so will probably be a pain in the ass on the Otari, But the transformers for in and outs on the MTR90 are just hard to get any info on and rarely come up for sale. It got transformers on the cards, but that's only for the sync playback which might explain why I sometimes find that vocals sound "better" after bouncing.

Back