R.I.P. Mike Wells

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

It is with heavy heart and sadness that I type this, Mike Wells, of Mike Wells mastering has shuffled off this mortal coil. I do not know specifics at this time other than he took his own life. I found out two days ago and am still in shock.
For those that knew him or had the chance to work with him, this comes as a shock from out of nowhere as there were no signs of trouble. I was fortunate to do some work for him fixing a few pieces of gear and called him friend. He was often very kind, and open about everything from work and beyond. He was a great mastering engineer too.

I know we have a fairly tight and friendly community here on the forums, far better then a lot of places. If anyone is ever in need to talk I know they can turn here. Even when we disagree we usualy do so in a manor most polite
Be well and be safe in such uncertain times.

Last edited:
I hadn’t talked to him in a long time. I think he was still in the bay area last time I spoke to him. I remember some nice conversations. RIP

I'm about to travel over 5000 miles to CA and I was planning to contact Mike as where to maybe find his Gridlock-days releases from.. He wrote very friendly emails and gave his time to answer questions from a stranger like me couple years ago. This is such a sad news :(

So sad to hear. I sat-in on many mastering sessions with him for my clients years ago when he was in the Bay. Last was in the Hyde Street Studios building. Great guy!
Yes was a shock to me when I first heard the news. I heard some speculation since which the root cause was medical, seizures. But I never was able to confirm that. I can say he was a gentleman and good client. I fixed a few things for him over the years. Still tears me up when I think about him.

Sorry for the loss of your friend in such tragic circumstances Pucho ,
Id also like to second the idea that if someone feels the needs to talk ,reach out to someone, a problem shared is a problem halved .
I agree. I had a nervous breakdown towards the end of the last century and I discovered many of my colleagues had had similar occurences. It was great to talk to someone who understood sxactly what I was going though and gave me many useful tips one of the best being do something with your hands. It is one reason I build mixers now and why I was first drawn to groupDIY.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back