Racking tube gear vertically

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morls

I'm putting together a console/rack workspace, something with room for the mouse, keyboard and notebook, along with 20RU or so of rack gear. My idea is to keep it all close to horizontal, maybe 15 degrees or so, in order to keep the interference with monitor sound to a minimum, while having quick access to the gear.

What I'm wondering is, how does tube gear cope with being racked vertically? I'm running 2 x Pultec-style EQs and an LA-2A type compressor.

The desk is based on the Sterling Modular Plan A:
https://soniccircus.com/product/sterling-modular-plan-a-console/
Cheers
Stephen

Sterling-Modular-Plan-A-image.jpg

Maybe allowing a small air space between units might aid convective cooling ,
and help prolong the life of electrolytics and such ,
I remember the racks in a studio I used work , it was all transistorised gear but man you could cook eggs on it after a few days powered up . I guess if your running a commercial studio you can write off the hurt heat does to the gear ,still tube gear gives off orders of magnitude more heat than transistorised , so cooling is worth thinking about if your playing the long game .

Good points, thanks. It’s a project studio, so the gear wouldn’t be on for days at a time. I’ve got a 2 channel variable-mu that’s going to have to stay out of the rack, but it sounds like things can be managed.
cheers

Latest posts

Back