+ rail dies on console PSU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdurango

I have a Sound Workshop Series 40 console, recently all recapped. +16v rail dies when ANY channel is plugged into chans 1-8. Power led inside PSU (70's Power One design) indicates voltage correct when not under load. Don't have a live load to test rail under controlled load. Any ideas the likely culprit? Might've used some bipolar MUSE caps in the PSU circuitry (not main filter/rectifier caps of course)....has been fine until now...that's really the only thing I can think of off the top of my head other than trying new voltage regs. Any ideas what might be the issue? Thanks fellas!

jdurango said:
Will do! Don't backwards lytics normally release the smoke in an extremely expeditious fashion?

backwards they can smoke, but if they are rated high enough in voltage will not smoke but can produce a thump sound at various intervals.

Have you tried to see if it's a single channel that is bringing the rail down? I would try pulling out all the modules and power it up from there, see if you still have a problem.  Then from there can turn it off and add modules and see if after a certain number it  drops, or after a specific channel it drops.

Latest posts

Back