Ramsa WR-T820B Recap Question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I replaced the 2 huge 10000uF filter caps on the +/- audio rails, and let me say.... I can hear that low end that wasn't there before!  On some stuff it comes across as a bass boost, but on others, you can hear how low the song actually goes.  I'm happy that what I am doing is making a difference already!  Only 1040+ more little differences to make now!

And I'm finding some typos in the service manual.  I bought a 100uF 80V filter cap for the phantom rail, and it was supposed to be 1000uF!  Be careful.  I will update those 2 documents before for future reference.

Hey thank you for those lists!

BTW ---

Kind of off topic, but... my console and also some sound cards that I've bought used have cigarette tar on them. Should I attempt to remove this, and how -- without damaging ICs, etc?

I just cleaned all of the rear panel jacks including the gajillion RCA meter jacks...

Thanks again for the lists, VERY well documented and clear!!

Hey no problem!  Hope you can get some use out of em!

I have used this goo remover called OOPS!  I have used it to get some velcro squares that (for some odd reason or another  ??? ???) someone stuck above each fader about 20 years ago!  Its safe on the silkscreen markings so you won't remove the paint, but I haven't used it on any electronics before, so can't say for that.

I just swapped out all the coupling caps on the master card and headphone amp with the MUSE ES and its a different console now!  High end that I thought was there, is really there now.  It sounds much clearer, more depth, and now its got a nice present high end, but not too much.  Still listening to make further judgments.  I'm feeling good about the choices so far.  I'll keep at it.  Only 1020 or so to go!

I think I'm going to start with the PSU supply caps and see how it is. I know I have some caps around pots that have issues --- the "uncleanable scratchies"! Ha ha...

I would definitely start at the PSU.  Good call!

Those made a serious difference for me.  And if you knock out the PSU first, then it gives a good foundation to be able to tell the difference as you go.  If you're going for a full recap, I'd go at the PSU first, then the master card next.  There are some connectors on it that I don't think come off??? What's the point then?  I had to do it while it was hanging from a wad of wires, it took me forever and was very uncomfortable. 

I now have the master section COMPLETE except for that phantom power filter cap that was a typo in the manual (its on its way!).  So I'm to the easy part of taking channel banks out 1 at a time which means I can still have the console running and useful. 

Let me say, the master section recap was by far the most drastic change!  Its much more clear, you can sense depth much more, and the low end has come back, and tightened up, and the high end has come back, and now it seems like its smoothing itself out as the caps burn in (or its just psychological and I'm just getting used to the new sound ;) still not sure!)

I have 3 channels fully recapped and that is a subtle change.  It clears up the high end a bit, and there again, adds the ability to sense depth.  As for the noise, no change really, mic pre's and line and tape ins at full boar are about the same as the other channels.  My channel 1 and 2 are extra noisy though, so lets hope that brings them back to the average.

When i got it, it was pretty dusty, and I've been cleaning it as I go, and it not only sounds, but looks like a brand new console.  I cleaned the faders and they are silky smooth now.  They were pretty gunky.  I'm excited to get it in use, so I have to hurry.  The first session on it will be oct 3rd!

great reporting, by the way,

this is the best account i have ever read on a cap job,

and these cap job questions come up

EVERY OTHER DANG DAY!

so what a relief, you should put this in the re-cap meta, or what ever...

good work, report on...

CJ said:
great reporting, by the way,

this is the best account i have ever read on a cap job,

THANKS CJ!  ;D ;D

I feel like i've spent enough time on here, and learned WAY more about audio electronics from you guys than I ever did in a classroom, so I better do something to hold my weight.  I've asked a bunch of questions recently, and everyone who's contributed has been a huge help!  I'll be asking a million more i'm sure.  I'll probably make an update when I finish.  I could start a whole other thread on the full refurbishment aspect of this thing too.  It has made a 180 functionally and aesthetically over the last week.

I think a recap meta is a good idea!  There isn't really a cap meta in the first place, so it might be useful.  Who do we talk to to suggest that into place?

Hey, Phishman!

Nick Peck here. I just found this posting, and am delighted that my documentation of the Ghost recap project was of help/inspiration to you.

I need to update my wiki a bit more, but am closing in on completing my project. All recapping has been done, along with rechipping many of the TL072 and NE5532's with faster slew rate opamps. I've also replaced the power supply with an Allen and Heath RPS-11 linear power supply that has been modded for Ghost voltage requirements. I still have a few bugs to fix before pressing the console into operation, but the 1kHz square waves I've been feeding it for test are absolutely razor sharp coming back across all busses and outputs. It's taken over a year to complete the project in my spare time, and I've felt discouraged many a time, but now I'm really excited to use the console.

I hope your project turned out really well, and that you are using it!

-Nick

Glad to hear its going well and nearly complete!  I now know how much of an undertaking it can be. (read: still not done!)

I've been trying to find time to finish the rest of the channels, only 16 more to go!

It definitely made a gigantic difference.  I'm putting it to use for another basic tracks session saturday and sunday this weekend!

I'd love to see the update about the chip swap and PSU upgrade.  Those are on the eventual list.

I think we need more documentation about this type of stuff!  (i can't really see myself finding the time to put together anything like this myself, too busy otherwise.  I would really like to though)

So thanks again for such a great resource!

phishman13 said:
I would definitely start at the PSU.  Good call!

Those made a serious difference for me.  And if you knock out the PSU first, then it gives a good foundation to be able to tell the difference as you go.  If you're going for a full recap, I'd go at the PSU first, then the master card next.  There are some connectors on it that I don't think come off??? What's the point then?  I had to do it while it was hanging from a wad of wires, it took me forever and was very uncomfortable. 

I now have the master section COMPLETE except for that phantom power filter cap that was a typo in the manual (its on its way!).  So I'm to the easy part of taking channel banks out 1 at a time which means I can still have the console running and useful. 

Let me say, the master section recap was by far the most drastic change!  Its much more clear, you can sense depth much more, and the low end has come back, and tightened up, and the high end has come back, and now it seems like its smoothing itself out as the caps burn in (or its just psychological and I'm just getting used to the new sound ;) still not sure!)

I have 3 channels fully recapped and that is a subtle change.  It clears up the high end a bit, and there again, adds the ability to sense depth.  As for the noise, no change really, mic pre's and line and tape ins at full boar are about the same as the other channels.  My channel 1 and 2 are extra noisy though, so lets hope that brings them back to the average.

When i got it, it was pretty dusty, and I've been cleaning it as I go, and it not only sounds, but looks like a brand new console.  I cleaned the faders and they are silky smooth now.  They were pretty gunky.  I'm excited to get it in use, so I have to hurry.  The first session on it will be oct 3rd!

I know this is an old thread, but I have been doing these same things on my Ramsa.  I actually found a bad solder joint at the power output header on the muting pin.  It was causing all of the relays to close and mute the console.  Very frustrating!  I ended up re-capping the power supply, all the groups, the master, and the TB/OSC section.  This console has really come back to life.  Thanks for the inspiration!

Cheers,
Zach

Back