Raspberry Pi or Arduino Uno, which has a better/cheaper balance for streaming Pure Data?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goblin

I have a musical and a visual project, which is done in Purr Data (basically Pure Data but streamlined), and I want to "transfer it" to an Arduino or a Raspberry Pi, or any other suitable board or mini-computer, then stream those sources to a YouTube channel and other streaming channels.

I haven't used that much either platform.

I want to acquire and use, solely for this project, a board or a "mini-computer" (Raspberry Pi) - Chinese knockoff, original, or any other brand that qualifies for the job - whichever makes it easier and hassle-free to do this, and which one can do it for cheaper, but stable.

I want to load my Purr Data patches (video and audio), get it running, connect it to the internet via cat cable, set up the connection, set up YouTube and other streaming platforms, and forget about it. Every few days, connect a midi controller and change a few parameters. Leave it in a corner doing its job.

Honestly, I would like to do this with the cheapest Arduino board or another brand type or a Chinese knock-off or similar brand but my entry level knowledge doesn't allow me to put two and two together for this project.

All recommendations are welcome.

Last edited:
Arduino (at least the original) is an 8 bit microcontroller with memory measured in kB. PD will not even come close to running on that.
Unless you want to spend a huge amount of time re-implementing system libraries you need a platform which will run Linux. Raspberry Pi would be the most straight forward because of the community of people doing similar who could help you out, but BeagleBone Black, Banana Pi, old Chromebox, etc. would work just as well. RPi are very hard to find in stores right now, they have had supply chain problems for the past couple of years, so it will probably come down to what you can find in stock. After you get Debian on something they are all about the same if you don't care about compatibility with the Pi "hat" or BeagleBone "cape" add-on boards.

Pi is definitely the way to go. UK stores have recently been restocked with 2G,4G and 8G RAM versions so supply is now less of an issue. Maybe not so easy on the other side of the pond.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks guys, after a few days of research, and the feedback in here, I'm confident on getting the Pi for this job.

I know a bit of "synth code" for the Arduino, but wasn't able to get this straight answer.

Korg wavestate keyboard synth/sample player is also powered by Raspberry Pi, Compute Module 3 (CM3).
Use rpilocator.com to find where they are available.

Latest posts

Back