RCA 44bx shell build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone ! I’m a long time lurker, but this is my first post . I recently purchased a 44bx style ribbon motor and also an output transformer for it as well . But I am looking for a build of the outside . If anyone has the equipment to do it and at a reasonable price please pm me .

thank you for any and all help !

best Ethan

Attachments

• A7990640-C2C6-4786-BB48-7BCBFED602DB.png
    A7990640-C2C6-4786-BB48-7BCBFED602DB.png
    415.8 KB · Views: 12
Yeah they do beautiful work ! I used to own a r44ce and before that a 38 44bx. I was hoping I could find a shell cheaper than the $840 they Charge , but I know the equipment they have to do and the work isn’t cheap so it may not be cheap anywhere else as well, but thought it was worth asking . It doesn’t have to be 100% but rather close would be nice . Thank you for replying ,your post on this site are always very helpful and informative .

Real beaters do show up on ebay, but even those aren't cheap anymore. There's at least one guy doing lookalikes with dynamic capsules on ebay for a couple hundred $, don't know if the scale is correct.

Yeah I bet they bring a lot of money like most parts to rare mics now days. I watched a video on how it’s made of the aea r44 that was was interesting today. Oh really? Is it the heil classic dynamic mics that are the size of the 74B or is this a small builder ?

I started considering one of these a few weeks ago. I've added it to the long list of future unfinished projects. It seems like 3 basic parts - screen, yoke and transformer box. There are some drawings online (attached). For me so far, the most difficult part has been finding a suitable replacement for the transformer box in the right dimensions. The perforated metal screen can be purchased (or fabricated based on hole size and center) and molded, but it will likely take some time to get the molding process down without tearing or wrinkling the metal. I've considered the simple molding process fabricators of custom metal speaker grilles use - look on youtube for this.

I have access to a maker-space so the fabrication no longer seems impossible. Should anyone have any idea on the transformer box, please let me know.

Attachments

• Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back