Rca BA-2c input pad and impedance

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you can make both caps switchable. This gives you relative flexibility to adjust the gain and distortion structure. Together with an input pad you can then react to almost any recording situation and microphone.

As Doug wrote, the BA2C has Champ genes and tends to overdrive with increasing input levels. That is an absolute plus of this negative feedbackless design.

Sometimes, especially with hot signals, this is too much of a good thing, so switchable caps can make the difference here. Listen to it and decide for yourself if it makes sense for you.

Of course, you will also lose output level, which is best compensated with a compressor / limiter.

The cathode caps can be switched almost poppless, if you connect a high impedance resistor to the capacitor in series.
Thank you. Yes I like this quality of ba2c but I just want to see if I can “clean it up” a little to make it more versatile…that’s why I want to make it switchable .
Thank you both for sharing this info. Greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back