RCA BA21 build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I'm guessing here, but maybe RCA was trying to reduce the cost of the transformers going from the no-feedback of the early BA-2 and console amps with the larger can transformers (i.e. similar to UTC LS series) to these smaller square can transformers (i.e. similar to UTC A series), with 20 dB of negative feedback.
Though I haven't had time yet to really compare the sound of this preamp yet with the BA-2 I built with original transformers.
Everyone was trying to reduce the cost of transformers, it’s across the board post-war.

I was looking through the UTC 1949 catalog, and the LS-10 was $25, while the A-10 was $15
For the outputs, the LS-27/LS-50 was $24, while the A-24/A-25 was $15/$14
But I don't see a single off-the-shelf transformer with a tertiary winding. Would think that would add some cost and shrink the difference.
Adding feedback would make the whole thing more forgiving I would think, build quality, etc... but as designed it doesn't account for the input transformer
BTW, $25 in 1949 is $311 today using the CPI inflation calculator.

No stock UTC with feedback windings, some other manufacturers did, but frequently power outputs. Not a lot to choose from off the shelf, plenty of customs.

Anyone seen this before? Long gone reverb listing from a couple years ago showcasing a passive EQ, described as akin to UA1008 off feedback winding?
1676527255234.png
1676527280340.png
1676527318467.png

Interesting, though it’s not an RCA EQ and there’s no way to strap that into an RCA like UA does without rewiring. If it was auctioned that way it was a misdirect or wishful thinking.

Guess I should have realizdd that based on package size compared to the RCA stuff. Glad I wasn't the one fooled who bought it...

Latest posts

Back