RCA BC-2B

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

I started to build a two channel RCA tube preamp from the BC-2B schematic. I am using LL1680 outputs and I have LL7905s, jensens and a LL1636 to try as inputs.

I seem to remember a thread about this circuits power supply voltage. I did a search and did not find what I was looking for.

I think the ps B+ was questioned being marked 363V at the site http://www.larryseyer.com/rca.htm. I THINK PRR stated that older tube consoles ran at about 250V. Has anyone built this and tried the different voltages?

275-300V was a typical B+ for amplifiers inside mixing consoles. 363V sounds unusually high.

For what it's worth, somewhere online I saw an original BC-2B preamp schematic with someone's notes added to it, and the B+ was noted by this person as 280V.

There was some notes about making this unit some dirty sounding lowering the B+, to 80V I think. I recall seeing a schemo with the transformer options for that, I'm after that one but can't find.

Do you think it can be done with a JT-115kE as input and a 10k:600, 1:4 output transformer???

cheers!
Fabio

I am going to try a 115. The LL1680 is gapped for 5 ma

FWIW I was thinking of building a tube microphone using a LL1680.

A guy on Usenet measured the input transformers in his BC-2B console preamps and found that they're 1:15. So you're going to get less gain with a 1:10 input transformer.

The same fellow claims the output transformers are 12K:600, which works out to 4.47:1. And of course it must be able to handle the unbalanced plate current being drawn through the primary.

Thanks for the ratio. 1:10 is Ok with me. The lower ratio should help with high output condensers.

Cool, thanks Dave!

Gus, let me know about the 115k on input, I'm sure you gonna do it before me :)

cheers!
Fabio

Latest posts

Back