Really Nice Compressor?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaotao

I'm psyching myself up to build an SSL comp (just need to talk thru the schematics with a mate) but i'm also really interested in buying an FMR Really Nice Compressor (RNC 1773)

SOS Review....
www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep00/articles/fmr.htm?session=da3c60b3b1b85f1ea9e61db2585c1398

Never used one tho'..... Does anyone have an opinion on this? How does it compare to a GSSL?

In the UK they're £200 ($300) but u can get 'em in USA for $200 with a 240V psu!! from Mercenary.com . I reckon i could smugle it back next time i go over there....... sounds like a plan?

If you need something to compress and you dont have any money you cant argue with an RNC. If you are critical about the sound your gear makes, chances are you wont be very happy with an RNC, I know Im not. If you just need a decent enough sounding tool to get a job done, again, its hard to argue with an RNC, its certainly not as useless as a stock 3630 or anything like that, but I think they truly sound pretty bad. Im not in the majority though.

In comparison to the Gssl, there is no comparison. The Gssl is a real piece of equipment that you'll use everyday and smile everytime you use it. The RNC is kind of like that rusty hammer that you have, its great to have when you cant find the nice hammer that youve got, but the rest of the time, when you havent misplaced the nice new hammer, its just a rusty hammer that sits in the drawer. The rusty hammer can still hammer in nails and you can build a house with a rusty hammer the same way as with a new hammer, its just a question of how you want to get there and of course how much you can afford to spend in the process.

Take the budget you have for an rnc and build a Gssl if you can afford the time to build it and dont mind building it. You'll be completely amazed the first time you power it on, its a real box, not a real good deal on something else...

dave

take the GSSL vs RNC challenge! I did. the GSSL won hands down. I built two the first go(both are being finished this week!!) and compared to a friends RNC. you'll be much happier!

[quote author="jaotao"]

In the UK they're £200 ($300) but u can get 'em in USA for $200 with a 240V psu!! from Mercenary.com . I reckon i could smugle it back next time i go over there....... sounds like a plan?[/quote]

FMR is great stuff, but if it fails, you will need service. To ship it back both ways to the states if you have to will be more than £100 Call the distributor there. The owners name is Paul East, but I forget the name of his company. You should be able to find out who the UK distributor is.

Tell him you are a friend of mine. He might either sell you direct, or point you to a better deal... He is a good guy.

For a cheap compressor I think I would find an old used joe meek. They sound much better then the RNC, at least to me, and you can find quite a few models you around $200 used.

adam

The thing about the RNC is that in Super Nice mode you almost won't know its' there. True, most of the high end compressors sound better, but they will undoubtedly impart their sonic fingerprint on the audio. If you just need a device for preventing digital overloads into your DAW then you probably don't want the color, nor do you want full time compression...just gentle limiting action when the going gets rough, to avoid the digital clipping. This is where the RNC excels. You can use it for this task without question.

Now if you want sweetness, color, smoothness, or sonic bliss you'll be much better off going for an 1176 or one of the other units mentioned...DIY or not. Of course, many people look to UAD and other software for this task instead, so for just simple overload protection the RNC is better suited.

Shane

[quote author="adamasd"]For a cheap compressor I think I would find an old used joe meek. They sound much better then the RNC, at least to me, and you can find quite a few models you around $200 used.

adam[/quote]

Well, the Joemeek is very good, but very different from the RNC. Together there is not much you can't do with an RNC and Joemeek. The Joemeek, especially the older models are very colored. The new ones are still colored, but much faster, lower noise and more agressive, yet mild when you need it.

The problem is, we have not yet done the small stereo compressor model. We will, but for 2005. So the RNC is a very good move for him right now.

Thanks for the advice, this site is totally indespensible! (cheeeers Alan)

I had a really fast audition of the RNC in a shop today (i had to be quick coz i've got a lot of Beatles editing to get thru this week... i'm doing the bit where they play on the roof... big up myself) i was impressed with super nice mode, imaged it would sound sweet on all this accoustic guitar i'm working with at the mo' also forgot to have a play on the dbx 266xl... which i've never used and is CHEAP. Would need another go on the RNC before i think seriously about buying

I've used a few joemeeks in my time and they always impressed me, i've always wanted one, if i see one for a good price (not often) i'll go for it but i need cash for the GSSL too so i think plan A will be to get on the case with my GSSL!

Thanks again

Yeah JoeMeeks are very much colored, but they sound so nice, especialy the older more colored models. I guess I just really like how they color stuff. Just need to buy a new one someday. Not sure why I sold that one.

adam

I fing the RNC a great "utility" compresser for the "de-boinging" of a
spring reverb.
In this scenerio its overbuilt for its task. Just like any compressor should be!!

Back