rebuilt transmissions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxmonster

Well my 03 impala's transmission has been slipping for about a year and it is starting to happen more and more frequently now a days. I just do not want to get stranded on a gig an hour or so away from home.  So I was told by a very reputable local transmission shop that I should have it rebuild and put back in.  He said that they do everything in the shop and will use my old one and just rebuild it to new again.  The place has been in business for 37years and I fell pretty confident in having it done by them.  I have heard horror stories about AAmco and will not go there.  But I just wanted to get some thoughts if you guys have any.  The only real issue i had with the car was the fuel pump and ac condenser but everything else is fine on the car.  No rust spots and the interior is still really decent and clean as is the outside body.  It looks really good when it gets a bath.  I am looking around 2500 for the rebuilt transmission (estimate.)  At 160,000 miles I don't think it owes me anything as I was bad with changing the trans oil.  My engine oil still comes out clear as I have been very faithful with getting that changed or doing it myself at every 3,000.
I think I am going  to go for it  once I figure out where the $$$ is coming from,  what do you guys think?

-Scott

If you like the car, and everything else seems that it will keep going, then it's worth it. I had a Chevy CK1500 4x4 as a work truck for over sixteen years. Worked out of it every day. I had a local independant transmission shop rebuild mine at around 200K miles and it kept going till I sold the truck 100K later. The guy who bought it from me two years ago put a plow on it and it's still making him money.
The tech at the shop was like a mad-scientist type guy - wore a lab coat, pencil clip in the pocket, etc. Everything was stainless steel counters and bright flourescent lighting. The place was so clean you could eat off of the work space.

The transmission in my Honda started to slip around the beginning of December.  3 weeks later I was afraid to drive the thing any distance at all.  My trusted shop where I've gone for years said the best they could do was a rebuilt transmission - $3.5k, about $1k more than the car was worth.  We loved the car.  It only had 135,000 miles on it. 

It got replaced.
Mine was a 1998, so a little older than your Impala.  Things start to go with age and I didn't want to deal with whatever was going to break next.

I'd check around for better prices. Don't know if the area has anything to do with it, but I just had a rebuilt tranny put in my 03 Chevy suburban in Atlanta for $1075+tax out the door. 12mo/12k warranty. Been working perfect for about 4 months now. I found the ad for the place on craigslist, went and checked it out, and it was one of those "lab" looking shops like Spiritworks mentioned.

I just searched for "Impala Transmission" on Atlanta craigslist and found this:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ptd/3534098298.html

I actually found out what tranny model I had (4L60E) and did my searching for that. I just Googled "2003 Impala Transmission Model" and it looks like at least some are equipped with a 4T65E.

If you have time and equipment, there are also $25 rebuild instructional DVDs.

Helping my daughter, she has a 2007 Nissan Quest that is actually part of a class action suit against Nissan because of bad transmissions...it went out on the highway, I managed to get it towed and went through it as best I could, replaced fluid, got it to a shop...they want $4500.00 PLUS labor ($1100.00) to replace it...checked around...was not out of pricing for these things...you can buy a used Quest Nissan for less money...

Did manage to find some used ones for about $1500.00...will still have the labor issue though..

Here's whats crazy...when you drive it, it will slip completely out of gear into neutral...if you slip it into neutral, turn it OFF, and then restart it while its coasting...it will slip BACK into gear and run for a little while before you have to repeat the process...it seems entirely electrical...the solenoids apparently get debri in them and stop working...so the trans-shops all want to eliminate the source of debri by replacing the entire thing..I see their point, they have a duty to make sure it doesn't break again...but frankly doing a repair that exceeds the value of the vehicle in order to protect yourself seems over-done...

I understand why these shops do this...but there should be a happy medium somewhere between profit/service/age of vehicle/and warranty...but there never is...

I didn't read it all but, let me start by saying...I don't believe in one car. I currently drive an 02 Max with new engine and tranny that I put in myself. An 1987 300zx auto with everything to swap it over to NA2T and AT2MT plus suspension, electrical blah blah. Going with Z32NA tranny easier to find in great condition, I emphasize great condition.

Thanks for all the ideas and thoughts.  They are coming in handy and I am definitely looking at both sides of the card.  So many ideas thanks guys keep them coming.  You guys rock.

Back