Recapping SSL 4k G Channels

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessJackson

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased my first SSL product, A pair of re-racked 19" SSL G channels. I noticed that they had never been recapped so I ordered some caps immediately.

My question to you all here which I believe hasn't been asked after reading through all of the recapping threads. My cards all seem to use many "SU" Capacitors, SU capacitors seem to be Bi-Polar in nature. I had planned on replacing them with Panasonic FM's and FR's & FC's but now I'm wondering if I should keep them as SU's or replace them all with Nichicon green ES Bi-Polars?

I included a little pic of the originals on the left and my intended replacements on the right.

In Addition, Why do the SU's have a negative line down the side and if SU's are Bi-Polar Caps and were used throughout these cards then why do the cards have a + symbol etched? Was the Bi-Polar cap an afterthought or maybe SU's were more readily sourced?

Im a little confused, Does anyone have any input on this matter?

Cheers

Jesse

sslg1.jpg

sslg2.jpg

sslg3.jpg

sslg4.jpg

sslg5.jpg

I don't think SSL use bipolar caps in the channels, but I could be wrong.  We re-capped with Pana caps, and they worked fine.
Best,
Bruno2000

Thanks pucho & bruno

There actually are 4 Non Polarized on the AMP cards, you can see them in grey but all of the panasonic SU's are strange, even the data sheet shows them as being bi-polar.

I know they are Panasonics because they have the little M logo on them. The Blue ones, 5 from the top left.

http://industrial.panasonic.com/lecs/www-data/pdf/ABA0000/ABA0000CE97.pdf

strange stuff huh

Latest posts

Back