recent success against ISIL

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
Iraq is announcing that they have re-taken Ramadi from ISIL. This is significant because Ramadi is the capital of a sunni province (Anbar) near Bagdad that has not been on good terms with the shia government in Baghdad. (That's why it was so easy for ISIL to take it over). The mostly shia government army was not trusted by the mostly sunni population. AFAIK this was accomplished without Iranian (Shia) militias too, US air power and Iraqi military, while I think the iraqi air force may even have a couple planes in the air.

This is the third notable success. in recent months, while not a rout, at least movement in the right direction.  (Kobani and Tishrin dam Syria,  Sinjar Iraq.  Fallujah and Mosul Iraq need to be re-taken next. )

There is still a great deal of work and geography to re-take, and the end game for Syria is not only unresolved but not even being discussed. I still think the Kurds need more support from Bagdad, and Turkey remains  nervous about Kurdish strength.

But I'll take the victories where they come and hopefully this will suggest more future co-operation between the regional sunni population and shia central government of iraq. 

Far from what the spinners will claim this is not a vindication of air power being able to turn the battle. Ramadi was won on the ground by the Iraqi military who become stronger with every win. 

JR

PS: Note Anbar was where the sunni awakening occurred that led to the successful surge and ultimate stabilization of Iraq a few years ago.  Lets hope another awakening rises up to reject ISIL from within. Of course that entire region remains fluid and it is not time for a victory lap yet.  Lots more work to do.

Back