Recessed ceiling transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce0

I have a low voltage halogen housing with a bad transformer (part is Halo H1499T).  Does anyone know how to pull the can out of the housing without damaging the ceiling?  (I have the breaker off, have tested continuity on the secondary and it is fine, but need access.  There are no screws holding the can in.  Is it press fit?)

I know this is not the "normal" transformer discussion here.

PS: On second thought...  none of the transformer discussions are normal
Bruce

Got a replacement unit with new transformer, and saw that it has little invisible clips in notches on the outside of the can.

And I Got this very nice reply from Eaton (Halo),
Grab on opposite ends and tug straight down with a rocking motion, rotate a few degrees and repeat around the perimeter until the inner can breaks loose from the intergral friction blades.

bruce0 said:
I have a low voltage halogen housing with a bad transformer (part is Halo H1499T).  Does anyone know how to pull the can out of the housing without damaging the ceiling?  (I have the breaker off, have tested continuity on the secondary and it is fine, but need access.  There are no screws holding the can in.  Is it press fit?)

Bruce

bruce0 said:
Got a replacement unit with new transformer, and saw that it has little invisible clips in notches on the outside of the can.

And I Got this very nice reply from Eaton (Halo),
Grab on opposite ends and tug straight down with a rocking motion, rotate a few degrees and repeat around the perimeter until the inner can breaks loose from the intergral friction blades.

bruce0 said:

Bruce

Yes, once you've removed the hi-hat trim from the fixture those tabs should easily pop out, sometimes sticking a flathead screwdriver in where there's usually a little slot on the tab itself will get it to come out.  If it's an old fixture sometimes it can be a pain.

Let us know how it goes, hopefully you have enough slack from the romex to pull the can down.  ;D

ENS Audio said:
Yes, once you've removed the hi-hat trim from the fixture those tabs should easily pop out, sometimes sticking a flathead screwdriver in where there's usually a little slot on the tab itself will get it to come out.  If it's an old fixture sometimes it can be a pain.

Let us know how it goes, hopefully you have enough slack from the romex to pull the can down.  ;D

It turns out that buying the whole fixture over costs the same as the transformer, and that also made it easy to practice the "blind" replacement of the transformer.  Got it all working without damaging the ceiling.

Back