Recommendations on a DIY Mastering Compressor/Limiter?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canidoit

Any DIY projects out there that is mastering quality compressor/limiter you would recommend from your experience?

I have made the 500 series SB4001 for bus duties and adding glue to the stereo mixbus but now I am getting into mastering, and would like to know if there is anything out there worth considering?

I was thinking, maybe something with tubes, vari-mu, not sure?

Thank you.

Barry, I think the SB4001 is in the-same realm as the SSL Clone.

@Whoops, I heard these 33609 compressors impart too much color for Mastering, and more for tracking or mix duties? What do you think?

I was considering a Zener compressor/limiter?

Thanks all for their recommendations.

Barry, I think the SB4001 is in the-same realm as the SSL Clone.

Yes, it is. It will be the same machine that Barry posted but yours it's in the 500 series format

@Whoops, I heard these 33609 compressors impart too much color for Mastering, and more for tracking or mix duties? What do you think?

I do a lot of Mastering, personally in Mastering I like to use tools that impart or impact color, and I can choose that color to taste depending on the material.
SSL bus comp also imparts color and the API25000 also

I was considering a Zener compressor/limiter?

search for the EMI TG compressor, maybe theres a project like that around. I dont remember...

Last edited:
The u23's come to mind - I think user Falk recently made a clone of those. And did it more correct than the overpriced and hyped commercial clone

/Jakob E.

IMHO my Igor 33609 with Lundahls is quite transparent sounding, particularly compared to a tube compressor. I didn't try the U23 though.

What about a 670 ? Somebody should come up with a DIY design using a modern power supply and 6BA6 tubes like a few commercial brands are offering, all we have in DIY is the rather ridiculous Drip project

The u23's come to mind - I think user Falk recently made a clone of those. And did it more correct than the overpriced and hyped commercial clone

/Jakob E.
I was just looking at his build thread yesterday. I'm excited to build 2 of these. He now has a 1 year old, so it may be 15 years before he has time to complete the documentation and offer boards to the rest of us, ;-D

I don't think there is a one size fits all compressor for mastering a stereo mix. It depends on what the stereo mix needs.
The expertise of the mastering engineer (when I have been in the same room), has been to know what needs to be done to the track, and what tool is needed to get it done.
I like a Pico compressor for the transparent and fine control. I also have a 33609, SSL, and LA2A. All very different.
Saying you want to 'glue a mix' makes me think the mix isn't done. I've seen a mastering engineer use multiband compression in that case, unless he has the stems. Unless you really want to go crazy with hardware, you'd do that ITB.
And starting with stems is helpful to avoid trying to 'undo' too much compression in the stereo mix.
My LA-2A is amazing at gluing the mix together, but I apply it to the stems, not the mix bus. If you do want to operate on the full mix (or even the drum stem) you'll want the flexibility to high pass the sidechain. Unless you want the whole mix to be smashed when the kick drum hits.
A 'mastering' compressor will also typically have stepped controls and a 'mono' compression.
Figuring out what needs to be done and how it can be done is the hard thing to learn. Best way is to get in the same room with some good tools and someone who knows how to use them.
Just my thoughts, I'm not a pro though - good luck

I was just looking at his build thread yesterday. I'm excited to build 2 of these. He now has a 1 year old, so it may be 15 years before he has time to complete the documentation and offer boards to the rest of us, ;-D
I'm itching to build those too. I hope he comes up for air at some point.

It isn’t DIY but I just can’t help saying the @gyraf audio G22 is one of the best purchases I ever made in my humble studio. Tone for days, stereo linked or unlinked multi mono operation, mid side, HPF, just a great compressor. So far, I haven’t been able to make it sound anything except beautiful! As far as DIY goes, check out the SSL DIY project. No tubes, but everyone should have one. If the Serpent project sounds anything like his SB4001 500 sereis unit, while it doesn’t sound exactly like the SSL unit (it is more open and wider sounding to my ears), then it is a tool you’ll always love having in your box.

AML has the 5450 clone, in DIY form it is only available without the limiter section (compresor only), or in pre-made form they offer it with the limiter as well. That one will sound beautiful. In the 33609 realm, as it is diode based.

Latest posts

Back