Recommended Osciloscope

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 1054z is oudated IMO
I agree, but about 2 months ago I was able to get one off craigslist (new, never used) for $100.
I got it, flashed the ROM to bring it up to 100Mhz (and some other features unlocked).

It works very well for me.
I think it's worth it if you can find a used one for $200 or less.
Otherwise I'd probably go for something more up to date.

So the Siglent 1104x-e will be here this week hopefully. I forgot to check to see if it comes with probes. Is there anything I need to buy extra to test analog audio circuits?

So the Siglent 1104x-e will be here this week hopefully. I forgot to check to see if it comes with probes. Is there anything I need to buy extra to test analog audio circuits?

It does come with probes. Not amazing probes but they do the job fine. Just don't forget to compensate them once you get the scope. Whatever you do (i.e probe compensation, auto calibration, etc..) it's better to let it run for at least 30 minutes (warm up time).

Also, the scope has a soft power switch, which means that there's still some power consumption even when the scope is OFF. I have all the test equipment in splitters with a switches and I turn everything off at the end of each session. You don't have to, I just mention it :)

enjoy your new scope!

It does come with probes. Not amazing probes but they do the job fine. Just don't forget to compensate them once you get the scope. Whatever you do (i.e probe compensation, auto calibration, etc..) it's better to let it run for at least 30 minutes (warm up time).

Also, the scope has a soft power switch, which means that there's still some power consumption even when the scope is OFF. I have all the test equipment in splitters with a switches and I turn everything off at the end of each session. You don't have to, I just mention it :)

enjoy your new scope!
Thanks for the recommendation and tips warpie. What makes an amazing probe? Aren't they all the same? Sorry, this is my first scope. NOOB ALERT! We had scopes in the army, but they had a green button which would automatically run all the tests on the avionics equipment. They made it stupid simple for us to be "technicians". I think the real thing I learned in the army was the basic stuff like how to solder, whats a resistor, how to read a schematic, how to use a multimeter, attention to detail, and proper paperwork.

Thanks for the recommendation and tips warpie. What makes an amazing probe? Aren't they all the same? Sorry, this is my first scope. NOOB ALERT! We had scopes in the army, but they had a green button which would automatically run all the tests on the avionics equipment. They made it stupid simple for us to be "technicians". I think the real thing I learned in the army was the basic stuff like how to solder, whats a resistor, how to read a schematic, how to use a multimeter, attention to detail, and proper paperwork.

i mean quality-wise. The bandwidth of these specific probes are adequate for the scope even after the hacking (to 200MHz).
Nothing to worry about, especially for your needs.

Both of our shops are equipped with low/mid range Siglent scopes and signal generators. Like some of the other brands from years before the signal generator and scope mate up and can to automatic Bode plots and such.

SCOPE BUYING NOTES FROM AMP-HAUS:

Brand/Type/AGE
: If you are not designing new gear - just troubleshooting something or building a kit type thing you really dont need a powerful scope. Get a new scope, I know there are tons of used ones out there, but honestly; if you are just starting out get an affordable NEW one in a KNOWN brand that is readily available at REAL outlets in your country (not Amazon or eBay). The last thing you want is to have your "new" scope to become your new fix-it project. If you are at this stage in your electronics work journey, you do not want to start with troubleshooting and calibration of an antique scope. Plus the equipment to calibrate test equipment is even more costly.

"A DMM is better"?!: I forget who said this above but I will spare your name here... A scope can do everything a DMM can do in the right hands, and much more. A scope IS a DMM (MM), and so much more - it's also your audio probe. Yes those are handy little tools too, but If I had to pick ONE... Scope!

Channels: You need, at minimum, double the number of channels you are working on if you plan on testing/verifying in that way. But a single channel scope can troubleshoot things as well, it can just be tedious. You will need two channels to do a Bode plot with most scopes.

Kajillihertz: to get started with basic work you really do not need a scope that goes way beyond audio, honest. 10-50MHz is more than enough for day to day repair.

Don't forget to get a matching NEW signal generator; or highly serviceable old one if you want to do Bode Plots manually.

I am not saying you don't want a DMM or Audio Probe, those are handy. But a scope can do those things.

What else is in the shop?
Other than the really expensive test equipment, both of our repair rooms have exactly the same day to day test and repair equipment, so anyone can effectible work from either room. We both have a small Fluke Handheld DMM that we use for quick troubleshooting/verifications, most often for checking heavy guitar amps before we lug them into one of the repair shops. Both shops also have 2 tabletop 6 digit DMM's (HP), these get used much more than the handhelds, eventually you will likely want one of those. The downstairs shop also has the R&S UPD Audio Analyzer, and Tekronix 576 Curve Tracer.

BOTH SHOPS ALSO HAVE A COPY OF THIS OLD HANDY BOOK: "Handbook of Oscilloscopes: Theory and application" by John D. Lenk
While very old and dated (many scopes do the tests mentioned in the book automatically now). It does give you some enormously valuable insight as to how to use your scope and why it's doing what it does. (pics attached). Get the second edition if you can find it (1982). With modern scopes the book is most useful form Chapter 8 and beyond. Somewhere before there they go over resistance and capacitance measurements.
Chapter 8: Using Oscilloscopes with Signal Generators (great stuff about filters and input/output impedance here)
Chapter 9: Checking individual components (transistor tests, FET tests, Diode tests, Potentiometers tests, relay tests..)
Chapter 10: Checking amplifiers and amplifier circuits (signal tracing, frequency response, power output, noise, distortion, phase shift, slew rate
Chapter 11: Checking Communications Equipment
Chapter 12: Checking Industrial Devices...

Well worth the couple bucks it normally brings on eBay.

I hope someone finds my Sunday morning ramblings helpful.

I found a hardback copy of this book on ebay for 12 bucks! Free shipping. Just ordered it. Thank you for the suggestion.

Latest posts

Back