Recommended Osciloscope

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a X100 probe permanently on my scope for testing valve amps. No point risking damage to the scope input from a random pulse. A scope input could be easily compromised without it being obvious. An open circuit output transformer can easily make many kV on the primary under certain conditions.

Found a rigol ds1052e for 200 used locally. It seems this scope got some good reviews, but how good would it be for audio work for a noob diy guy like me?

Is that basically the same as the sds1104x-e that warpie recommended, but without the logic analyzer? I saw that yesterday, about US$90 cheaper than the one with the logic analyzer option.

Not sure about the logic analyzer but the sds1104x-e can do bode plot while the sds1104x-u cannot. This alone worth the extra $90 IMO. You'll also need a siglent generator though but this can be purchased in the future.

Not sure about the logic analyzer but the sds1104x-e can do bode plot while the sds1104x-u cannot. This alone worth the extra $90 IMO. You'll also need a siglent generator though but this can be purchased in the future.
I have the SDS1104x-e and followed the hacks to make it 200mhz. I use it for audio and 4 ch was handy for me when I was adjusting a warm up timer circuit in a tube circuit. You can use a laptop to run it or take screenshots.
I haven't needed all the bandwidth but it's nice to know it's there. I could use it to adjust FM tuner, but haven't yet.
You can find the hacks by googling.

I have the SDS1104x-e and followed the hacks to make it 200mhz. I use it for audio and 4 ch was handy for me when I was adjusting a warm up timer circuit in a tube circuit. You can use a laptop to run it or take screenshots.
I haven't needed all the bandwidth but it's nice to know it's there. I could use it to adjust FM tuner, but haven't yet.
You can find the hacks by googling.

Thanks. I'm aware of the hack but I haven't found the need for 200MHz or wi-fi yet. Maybe some time in the future.

Regarding the screenshots, I prefer to save the pics directlt to the USB pen attached on the scope. In fact, I don't really use the web interface although it is quite fast and responsive.

I believe for what's worth it's a very nice little scope although the new trend is 12-bit scopes nowadays. Rigol are releasing a new cheap 12-bit range soon but I don't have experience with Rigol. Some people complain about the support and firmwares, etc...

Another good thing about the sds1104x-e is that the front end is quite low noise, which helps for audio.

500 is a bit out of my price range, just had to spend 850 for a busted water pipe in my front yard yesterday. YIKES! But ive added it to my wishlist, and will start saving for it. Thanks guys.

As far as the waveform generator, couldn't I just generate waveforms from my computer using my DAW?

Thanks. I'm aware of the hack but I haven't found the need for 200MHz or wi-fi yet. Maybe some time in the future.

Regarding the screenshots, I prefer to save the pics directlt to the USB pen attached on the scope. In fact, I don't really use the web interface although it is quite fast and responsive.

I believe for what's worth it's a very nice little scope although the new trend is 12-bit scopes nowadays. Rigol are releasing a new cheap 12-bit range soon but I don't have experience with Rigol. Some people complain about the support and firmwares, etc...

Another good thing about the sds1104x-e is that the front end is quite low noise, which helps for audio.
Well, that makes the scope old by today's standards of bit depth. Just like phones and DACs etc. Enforced obsolescence. However I was using a Hitachi 35 MHZ scope that was given to me in 1986 up to 2020 so i'm comfortable with obsolescence. I'll be obsolete someday, too.

As far as the waveform generator, couldn't I just generate waveforms from my computer using my DAW?

Yes, my understanding of the advantage of using the Siglent waveform generator is that you can use software on the 'scope to control the waveform generator, so it can do things like step the waveform generator frequency, measure and store the level coming into the scope, then step and repeat so it can build up a frequency response plot. I think it may need two scope channels so it can also compare phase of the output of whatever you are testing so that it can generate a full frequency and phase response plot.

An additional advantage of a waveform generator instrument over a soundcard is that you need to be able to view frequency and phase response well outside the audio bandwidth to evaluate feedback stability of designs. Soundcards as signal source are good for evaluating audio performance, but not necessarily all the parameters you might need for design work.

The waveform generator is a few hundred dollars additional, so would be nice to use a soundcard at least for doing audio frequency response measurements. Maybe that is something a script on a computer could do, but I'm not sure how much USB automation those scopes support.

Yes, my understanding of the advantage of using the Siglent waveform generator is that you can use software on the 'scope to control the waveform generator, so it can do things like step the waveform generator frequency, measure and store the level coming into the scope, then step and repeat so it can build up a frequency response plot. I think it may need two scope channels so it can also compare phase of the output of whatever you are testing so that it can generate a full frequency and phase response plot.

An additional advantage of a waveform generator instrument over a soundcard is that you need to be able to view frequency and phase response well outside the audio bandwidth to evaluate feedback stability of designs. Soundcards as signal source are good for evaluating audio performance, but not necessarily all the parameters you might need for design work.

The waveform generator is a few hundred dollars additional, so would be nice to use a soundcard at least for doing audio frequency response measurements. Maybe that is something a script on a computer could do, but I'm not sure how much USB automation those scopes support.
Ah I see, Im learning. Thank you for explaining this.

Which scope probe do you use in your hi-z input 1/4" trs in your soundcard?

Wouldn't you be able to use your computer as a waveform generator also?
I have a similar scope to the Tek you posted. It is a good scope, extremely slow and sluggish. I only bought it for RF stuff since it has a 500 MHz BW, that is the only reason I use it for, otherwise, get something else.

I have an old Hitachi v-422 40Mhz scope which still has good focus and works well. Nicely laid out controls and cost 100 off Ebay.
A good used USB audio interface - I got a 2 channel Focusrite ( Ebay again) for generating/recording audio signals etc from laptop.( using Audacity)
Also have an old TTi signal generator I got in a surplus store a few years back for about 50. So some careful shopping of used gear and I have a low-cost setup that can do quite a lot.

Two different instruments. For voltage measurements, a DMM has a lot better accuracy than a scope.
Ummmmm. Yes, it's probably why they have different names too. :) But... A oscilloscope IS, by definition, a voltmeter with an axis for time added; plain and simple. :)

Accuracy, I think it would depend on your equipments original specifications and current condition, no?

My point being, if on a limited budget spend it on your signal generator and your scope, a better DMM can come later, and is also highly useful. You can do most everything with a scope and more - just with a scope only, you may have to do some math (to get resistance, inductance, capacitance, transformer hysteresis values etc.). This was in reference to a choice of DMM instead of a scope - and budget related. Not looking for an argument, only clarifying for newer members that may not understand. That old book I suggested tells you how to get all of this out of your scope and more.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, if measuring AC with a DMM... Say you are matching output on a stereo pair using a nice clean 1K signal from the decent signal generator suggested. If your unit under tests power supply is leaking AC or ummm wifi etc., is getting mixed into you amplifier and likely amplified, the AC you are measuring is often cumulative in a DMM's RMS measurement, there could also be DC offset present. With a scope, you can SEE the unwanted AC on your 1K signal. You can then zoom in and figure out where the frequency is and track down the source quickly. With a DMM only - this could be VERY tedious, if not damn near impossible - and by impossible I mean NOT WORTH THE TIME.

And FWIW - we keep our computers and converters OUT of our test equipment signal chain - we encountered too many issues in our formative years trying that. YMMV.

Theres a few varieties of good hash I cant get enough of these days 😄
The unwanted kind that messes up your sound is all over the place ,

Latest posts

Back