Relay Flyback Diode Hack

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo Deadly

I accidentally made the relay flyback diode on a pcb too small. The footprint is for a signal diode. But I'm wondering if I could get away with using a signal diode in this particular case because the coil is powered through a 2n7000 mosfet which is turned off by disconnecting the gate from the control voltage which means the capacitance of the gate will need to drain through a 10K pull-down resistor (although this value could probably be increased to 100k without a problem). So this will slow down the turn-off action ever so slightly. Do you think that will reduce the back emf of the relay coil enough to get away with using a signal diode instead of a proper high voltage rectifier?

Does anyone want to take a guess as to the inductance of a TQ2-12 relay coil? If I knew the inductance of the relay coil I could test this in LTSpice.

Almost 100% sure a small-signal diode is perfectly fine; I've never used or seen anything else for such a small relay. Also MOSFETs are protected by their internal body diode, so you don't actually need an external clamp diode.

For a 5 V small-signal relay, the coil is probably in the 100 mH range.

Samuel

I have the coil in series with the mosfet so I don't think the mosfet protection diode is going to help. I just tried to simulate this but it peaks at 60V which is the 2N7000 max Vds so I guess the simulation is just showing me the mosfet reverse breakdown.

The signal diode footprint is wide enough (0.3"/7.62mm) for a rectifier diode.  The real problem is the holes are too small. Those rectifier diodes use really thick bus wire.

I will just try a signal diode. If I fry the transistor I'll try 2 diodes in series maybe or drill out the holes and solder both sides to compensate for breaking the through plating.

squarewave said:
...... or drill out the holes and solder both sides to compensate for breaking the through plating.

Why? Just solder from the top and the thru plating will link to the bottom.

Latest posts

Back