Removing conformal coating for desoldering and replacing a component?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisSead

Hey everybody, don't know if this is a stupid question but thought I'd ask anyway -- am currently modding a Rode NT-2 (the old one, with the U87-ish headbasket), and replacing some caps to tame the harsh high end. One leg of each cap is covered in some sort of red coating/epoxy resin. What's the process of removing this so that I can desolder and replace the components? I'm assuming I shouldn't try to just melt through it.

Cheers

Last edited:
Not sure you can avoid needing to (carefully) scrape it off. Hot air may or may not help in softening it up.

Not sure you can avoid needing to (carefully) scrape it off. Hot air may or may not help in softening it up.
Cheers. Sounds like my best bet is just to carefully go at it with a knife and potentially bring out the hot air gun. Was hoping there'd be some secret easy method that I hadn't heard of haha.

I remember this being a royal PIA back in the 60s when I was doing some navy-milspec soldering work as a technician.

Try heat, maybe a dremel cutter tool might help but be careful.

JR

just burn through it, hold your breath, the body creates warm convection currents that draw solder smoke to the nose,

use to have to unsolder 8 pin opamps in 4-20 ma current sensors, heavy coating, sometimes i would do this 200 times a day. my all time record was 300. what you might do is clean up the area After you pull the part, don't scrape, you can damage a trace, alcohol is you best friend, but not Ten High.

Back