Removing epoxy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not done it on a DOA so will need other insight but our synth tech who has worked on about a million Juno 106s does the tried and true method of soaking the voice chips in acetone for a few days to remove the resin which brings them back to life. I don’t remember if it strips the ability to read markings on semiconductors

I have not done it on a DOA so will need other insight but our synth tech who has worked on about a million Juno 106s does the tried and true method of soaking the voice chips in acetone for a few days to remove the resin which brings them back to life. I don’t remember if it strips the ability to read markings on semiconductors
Yes, that’s my concern. Right now the shell is off and transistors and things are individually covered. If I acetone the transistors and things will it take off the part numbers as well?

Yes, that’s my concern. Right now the shell is off and transistors and things are individually covered. If I acetone the transistors and things will it take off the part numbers as well?
Please try it on some sacrificial parts and let us know! Just don’t get acetone on the PCB surface. That would probably do some damage.

There are several alkali-based solvents to remove epoxy in the automotive sector. These seem to be paint gel remover...

Sounds safer than acetone. Besides, I've tried it, it doesn't remove cured, old epoxy.

Latest posts

Back