Repair of Korg DTR-1 musical Instrument tuner

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Storms

Hi all! My tuner quit and I discovered that a cap ( C1 on the front panel PCB ) was pulling down the regulated 5 volt rail. I removed it and the 5v popped back up and the unit started working. I lost the little weasel though and I would like to know its type and value. C1 is just to the right of the many legged doodad in the picture. I cant find any schematics online except for the rabbit hole log in sites. Any thoughts? THANKS The other pic is the shorted cap lighting up to the thermal camera.

Attachments

• 20230821_220920.jpg
    20230821_220920.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230821_221221.jpg
    20230821_221221.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Board looks kind of dirty around R37!? Cleaning that makes any difference? I had boards that shorted out components and worked again after a quick clean.

Board looks kind of dirty around R37!? Cleaning that makes any difference? I had boards that shorted out components and worked again after a quick clean.

Since the OP also has a thermal camera shot of the offending capacitor, i'd say the conclusion is pretty clear. Also he whole thing started working upon removing it, so... 😁

Also SMD ceramics are known to fail shorted. I've revived several laptops so far, by replacing internally-shorted ceramics on power supply rails.

Back