replacing transformer with chip preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADHD-Oarsmen

I know there was a thread a few weeks ago referring to this but I wanna dig a little deeper.  So the most expensive part of a preamp (which is what I need to build) is the input transformer.  The good ones go for $50 to $100 and even higher but I don't really have that much money.  I need 8 preamp and the input transformers would take up all my funds that I have at the moment ($300 maybe more in a few weeks)even though i know that they are one of the biggest influences on the sound.

SOOOO... here's my question???

can I put a THAT or TI chip preamp (I think its a THAT 1510/1512 and TI217 that I'm thinking about) in place of the transformer on something like a MILA Tube pre or a API 312 for a little character. All a transformer does essentially is bump up the signal (and balance but I can wind a 1:1 balancing transformer no problem).  Right?

So I see no reason to why this wouldn't work.  Sure it wont give me a huge amount of color but it would still make it sound less sterile than just the chip amp on its own.

prove me wrong as I'm sure a few of you will. 

Yes this subject has been covered many times before.

But my main concern is your budget. You have $300 for 8 micpres = $37.50 per micpre. How are you going to manage that for say 312?  It is not enough even for GAR 2520 and EA output transformer from Jeff.

honestly my budget is actually bigger that that.  i would like to keep it somewhere around, oh, i don't know... maybe $60 each.  I have some old power transformers for the high voltage  and need to acquire low voltage ones.  I do a lot of broken electronics work and have a bunch of unused parts laying around and plan to build the 8 over the next 4 months.  If I made a 312 I would definitely be winding my own output because there pretty easy.  Also id be scratch building a 2520.  I like to fiddle with electronics if you haven't noticed. i don't need super high quality.  Just something to amp up the signal and give it character before going in my motu828.   

Then it won't be a 312 as what makes it 312 are the transformers and the opamp.

Yes, THAT has got a good application example in the data sheet but making a micamp in front of a micamp is quite a strange plan. You can certainly build the THAT device as the micpre stage and then use the others in line amp configuration. If this is what you want to do.

i totally realize this is an odd thing, but being normal isn't as fun. im more interested in a tube mic pre anyway because i want a little compression before it goes in the box. ill probably put a switch in between the chip and other stage to add flexibility. 

I design custom audio circuits for professional recording equipment; with over 50 yrs. in pro audio, console & recording studio design.

I have a few transformerless mike preamps left from my console building business. They have 4 discrete trasnsistors on the front end & the gain pot is connected between the emitters of the 2 pairs of dual transistors; it uses a 5k reverse taper pot.
The output is single ended but the extra IC can be configured as a balanced output if needed. The max gain of the pre approaches 75 dbv. The distortion is extremely low (somewhere in the 0.01% THD. region). The 6.8k phantom power resistors are on the card but you will have to add the on-off switch, an led & a cap. Likewise switching for polarity would need to be added. No pad is necessary on the front end as the circuit takes full line level of at least +10dbv w the gain turned down all the way.
Can let you have each preamp for $45.00. Will also supply circuit diagram of a good bipolar supply.

The one complication is I need to know by tomorrow if you want some pres. as I am having knee replacement surgery next monday in Gainesville, Fla. I will not be able to work at the bench for 3-4 weeks following surgery.
Bill Wilson

Back