Report on 6072/12AY7 tubes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluegrassDan

GDIY Supporter
Just reporting my opinion, based on obsessive AB-ing, on the sonics of NOS vs new 6072/12AY7 tubes.

GE 5-Star and JJ sound really dang close. Like, surprisingly close. The GE is just a touch heftier in the low mids, but it is subtle.

GE 5-Star and Electro Harmonix sound different from each other. The EH is brighter, what you might call “grainy” and “sibilant” by comparison.

Was using a U87 through my tube preamp.

That is all. G’day!

Last edited:
Good with this sort of reports.

The very, very important question here is: In what circuit?

IME, for e.g. a mic front end, GE 5-star (if genuine) can be very, very good - and JJ most usually plain horrible

But take into account that most of the old 6072 tubes out there has already been tried and rejected for mic use, then sold back into the market.. (many of them several times)

/Jakob E.

Last edited:
Depends on what you mean by "better"

Cheers

Ian

Hence the attached IMO.

Out of the hundreds of tube types available, there are plenty which can be 'better' in one way or another.

In the end it's a question of taste.

Hence the attached IMO.

Out of the hundreds of tube types available, there are plenty which can be 'better' in one way or another.

In the end it's a question of taste.
I think we are talking at cross purposes. I thought you meant better 12AY7 tubes not better different type tubes.

Cheers

Ian

Back