Resistor Color Codes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick Stuart

Hello all, long time reader but new to join and post. I am starting to get into the DIY stuff on basic audio gear and trying to start small as well. My first plan is to mod a MXL 993 (like the 603). I have read that caps can make a difference but nothing has been mentioned on resistors, probably because it would be negligible to some degree, but nonetheless I want to try and replace as much as I can in the mic. One, to see if I can hear a difference and two, to get some more soldering experience under my belt. I plan to build a tube amp within the year and then maybe a pre or comp next year.

I have learned tons reading this site and I first want to say thanks to all those that have posted. You guys have tons of info and like to share from what I can tell and that is such a big help for a noob like me  ;D

So to get to the topic: I am at a loss as to how to read color codes on resistors. I realize I could pull them from the board and test with a meter. My question is, is there a way to use the color code accurately. I ask this because I seem to get stuck on the fact that what’s out there in terms of codes are 3 lines of color, with maybe a proceeding color to show the tolerance. The issue is the resistors on my board tend to have 5 lines of color.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

Thanks guys, didn’t find a 5 band decoder on google.

Any tips on what band to start with? I can assume it will only work one why when entered correctly?

first link, bottom of the page :
5 bands:
Red, yellow, orange, black, brown --> 243 ohms, 1% precision 5-band resistor
Yellow, violet, gold, gold, yellow --> 4.7 ohms, 5% - this resistor is calculated with the 4-band rule (the yellow band is ignored).
Orange, black, black, brown, brown --> 3.00 k ohms, 1% - note: this is a non-standard 1% (E96) resistor, but some manufacturers make every value from the E24 series with 1% tolerance!
More: 5 band E48 (2%) series resistor color code examples.

A 5 band color code is typically found on 1% resistors.  Once Upon A Time, those bands were slightly offset towards one end of the R.  Unfortunately, many/most of the Chinete R's sold these days have the bands equally spaced from left to right.

On a 1% R, one of the bands will be brown to signify the 1% tolerance.  Unfortunately, brown is also a "1" for regular color coding, which means that many R's can't be easily decoded without an ohm meter.

Best,

Bri

now days everything is surface mount and value reading is a pain,

but we still use the old vintage stuff here, mostly 4 band, carbon comp etc

colors are organized like a rainbow,

look at the third band first, this tells you the most,

black is  0 to 10 ohms,
brown is the hundreds
red is the 1 k and above region
orange 10 k,
yellow 100k,
green 1 meg
blue 10 meg,

then you just use the first 2 colors to get the rest of the info

punishment in electronics class was sorting a box of mixed up resistors,
but this was actually productive punishment as it made you good at color codes

i have only found 2 resistors in my whole life that were mis labeled, but does happen,

so always double check with a meter before installation,

and watch out for the zero ohm resistor,
they do exist
used as jumpers to get across a pc board without shorting the trasces like a wire jumper might do.

Attachments

• Resistor-color-code-chart-All-Spectrum-Electronics.jpg
    Resistor-color-code-chart-All-Spectrum-Electronics.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 7
Hey, I've been building for years and I still don't know the code. I don't trust it! I have a compulsion to measure every single resistor before it goes in. The only way really.

sometimes resistors will have a fifth band that does not mean anything,

yes, that 10 k resistor in the pic looks like it was photographed under quartz halogen,

different lighting will sometimes cause problems,

tungsten vs flourescent vs sunlight vs halogen

Thanks a bunch, that helps a lot. I think some measurement would be a good idea like suggested but I am getting a good idea on the codes now.

[silent:arts], I almost asked that question, quickly realizing I was just creating another question

Back