resistor legs for millimax pins on DOA's?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW

Does one need the gold milli max DOA pins and receptacles (on the pcb board)? For current draw?

Lets say we used resistor legs instead and soldered both on the DOA board and the main pcb. Just asking because of a large console project where main pcb's don't have the milli max receptacles anyway, costs add up to spending hundreds of dollars on those pins alone. And the console already has opamps soldered to the board (a more solid connection anyway imo) So . . why should I not cowboy it with resistor legs for the new DOA's?

Sidenote: Console in question is Yamaha PM2000 and opamp in question is Pierre Paolo's APP992, which I bought a bunch of bare pcb's of. Thanks Pierre! This opamp is amazing. It's clean with LOTS of headroom but a beautiful sweet sound that isn't like a 990C, much more sweet is all I can say, so far. . . .

What about perhaps 0.1" pin headers / socket headers? Cheap as chips, quite standard, removable...

Or just the pin headers on their own, if removability's not a concern. They're considerably stiffer / stronger than resistor legs, i'd say.

Thanks for the ideas. And jogging my memory. I completely forgot, I already have a bunch of headers. Those would probably be perfect. Much more sturdy than resistor legs.

JW said:
Does one need the gold milli max DOA pins and receptacles (on the pcb board)? For current draw?

Lets say we used resistor legs instead and soldered both on the DOA board and the main pcb. Just asking because of a large console project where main pcb's don't have the milli max receptacles anyway, costs add up to spending hundreds of dollars on those pins alone. And the console already has opamps soldered to the board (a more solid connection anyway imo) So . . why should I not cowboy it with resistor legs for the new DOA's?

Sidenote: Console in question is Yamaha PM2000 and opamp in question is Pierre Paolo's APP992, which I bought a bunch of bare pcb's of. Thanks Pierre! This opamp is amazing. It's clean with LOTS of headroom but a beautiful sweet sound that isn't like a 990C, much more sweet is all I can say, so far. . . .

thanks for posting,
Pier Paolo

Latest posts

Back