RIP Prince

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 40 year old daughter and her friends  are devastated by this news. Not a fan myself but the guy was incredibly talented. A sad loss.

Ian

This whole damn town I'm in is in mourning. They interrupted the normally scheduled programs as if a tornado was touching down (which I think is pretty awesome) with the news he died.
I wasn't the biggest fan but he was insanely talented. Good reading is Sylvia Massey's description of recording him. Through her eyes you see how incredibly talented he was. Perfect pitch, multi-instrumentalist,  and damn good guitarist.  He killed it in the George Harrison tribute. Of course here in Minneapolis everyone knows someone who worked in someway or another with him.  A bunch of guys I do live sound with toured with him and said it was pretty awesome.  And good paying.  His studio is also inconceivably well equipped and elegant.
Safe journeys to you Mr. Prince.

Sad news. Another great artist gone too young.  I have to wonder from the reports if he had walking pneumonia for weeks.  You feel like you have a flu and then you feel like your coming through it, then wham,  it takes you down again a little harder than the time before.  The cycle goes on over and over.  I had this once and it near killed me and I was only 34. 

Rocinante said:
He killed it in the George Harrison tribute.

Video here. It's all actually pretty pedestrian until Prince starts playing and he's just amazing. And when he falls over and keeps playing, Dhani Harrison just cracks up laughing.

I've yet to see anyone combining songwriting, musicianship, performance and uniqueness like he did... all while retaining integrity. My first and best big show experience was his '88 Lovesexy tour. I don't think anything has or will ever top that.

So sad.

Crap year.

Sad news indeed! At least we can presume he lived his life to the fullest, so we must count his live years double! I've read he used to do an aftershow after the gigs . these alone would stand out against other artists shows....

true lost of talent.

- michael

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRNYiFxR2Ps

great movie on Prince,

give that guy a Telecaster and prepare to get your groove on,

no doubt as to why he was here,

Thank You Prince!!!

audiomixer said:
Sad news indeed! At least we can presume he lived his life to the fullest, so we must count his live years double! I've read he used to do an aftershow after the gigs . these alone would stand out against other artists shows....

I was lucky enough to see one of them in Boston in I think 1998. Fantastic. Being only about 10-15 feet away from the guy. Just mind-blowing.

In that  George Harrison tribute it's almost like Hendrick's ghost is playing through him; his solos are absolutely incredible; raw with feeling and undeniable sophistication. Smooth soull funk rock. And that the f***ing guitar is wired the whole time just so at the end he can shed a little more magic; ha priceless.  There was quite a few good guitarist up there and it was like they held back, comfortable with the wisdom and knowledge that they were good but knowing all along that Prince was prodigy. And like i mentioned I'm  not even a fan.  I'm just a musician who respects talented musicians who worked for it and continued to broaden the horizons for the rest of us.

Surprising and quite sad, again (first Bowie, now him). Never been a huge fan but do listen to it once in a while as I respect his musicianship, great talent and entrepreneurial spirit.

mattiasNYC said:
I've yet to see anyone combining songwriting, musicianship, performance and uniqueness like he did... all while retaining integrity. My first and best big show experience was his '88 Lovesexy tour. I don't think anything has or will ever top that.

So sad.

Crap year.
Have seen him several times including Lovesexy '88.
One of the most impressive shows I've seen.....
So sad......

R.I.P.

Back