RIY: Recapping an Art Pro VLA 1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I decided to extend from DIY of Eurorack modules to 19" dynamics and my first project is not a complete build, but a repair. I bought a used Art Pro VLA (version 1), right meter not working and "sometimes loosing compression". I decided to give it a shot. As expected, I found leakage on many capacitors that partly spread out to the PCB itself. So I need to clean that up and recap the box. I think it´s a good start beforing spending real money on a bigger SSL clone DIY project. But since this is a first time for that kind of job:

- What are good replacement brands when recapping? I know it´s an el cheapo comp, so it doesn´t have to be exotic high end, but something solid. If the new caps are a tad bit better than originals, I don´t object. Which brands/series can you recommend?

- Take too many photos from too many angles, also noting down the old capacitor values for redundancy. Documentation, documentation.

- I doubt that ART has/will hand out a service manual or diagrams. Are there any other materials covering the VLA1?

- Given the age of the box it´s likely not ROHS, so I´ll pick my old Weller with the corresponding tips + selfmade fume extractor.

That´s my list so far, if you can add something or have worked on an VLA1 yourself, I´d be more than happy to learn from your experience.

Best regards,
Oli

Last edited:
Modding you say? Please elaborate
OK, search function is on top right of page. Just kidding 😊 I'd have to dig very deep in the archives (memory).

Before any mod, need to get it running first. How bad is the cap leakage ?

Looking at the schematic, I am sure I swapped all 10uf elcos in signal path to something higher, like 22uf, for lower filter cutoff frequency. Not sure though what maker I used (some 'audio' grade like Panasonic FC or Nichicon -- if you do want to spend money.)

Also I most likely used better caps in PSU section, very likely low ESR Nichicon over here rated at higher voltage and for 105C (not 85C). 4007 diodes maybe.

Keep us updated how it goes.

Looking good. All power caps should go.

I'd cut some of the glue near 'Lamp' and 'R64' off to make sure you don't have dreck remaining under the glue sitting on that trace.

Makes sense. Now where did I put that scalpel :D

Still reading the other threads and thinking: Now that I got the box open and disassembeld, why not do all in one go. All the other caps, ok, not a big thing. The other I can´t really judge yet, but this will change in the next days. I have a bunch of 1% metal film resistors lying around anyway and started compiling a mouser BOM for the caps already. Let´s see what I do and what I skip.

Many thanks for your support!

Agree on the glue, with tricky I meant that tiny spot where the trace shows (the trace closest to where the cap was sitting. Knocking on wood it´s still conductive, but I will test tomorrow.

Last edited:
Glue can be a problem. A known one is in the spx 90.
Good brands are panasonic, nichicon, vishay.
Before you recap first measure, if powersupply is ok leave it.
Follow the signal path and see where the problem is.
Then you learn something and it will be cheaper. One meter not working has nothing to so with rhe powersupply.
Measure the voltage over the meter. Try to swap the meters and see what happens. ...

While you’re in there, you can also try swapping the stock vactrol for a VTL5C1. These are faster than stock and made the attack and release much more usable for me. I ended up changing both channels in mine.

Back