Rode Classic 1 capsule, tube and output cap upgrade?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. Read the article a few times and although it is very technical, I have now learned something.

I tried changing the value of that output cap to 6uf Solen PP, and I ended up going back to the 22. I replaced the Capsule with a TC12, and can confirm this made a huge difference
Hey there! I have a Rode Classic that I was hoping to replace the stock capsule with a CK12 style capsule as well. I realized the stock capsule is center terminated and CK12 is edge terminated. Forgive me, but I’ve never done anything like this before. Did you have any issues with wiring the C12 capsule? Any advice or is it a pretty straightforward replacement?

Hey there! I have a Rode Classic that I was hoping to replace the stock capsule with a CK12 style capsule as well. I realized the stock capsule is center terminated and CK12 is edge terminated. Forgive me, but I’ve never done anything like this before. Did you have any issues with wiring the C12 capsule? Any advice or is it a pretty straightforward replacement?
Sorry for late reply. Didn’t see this. Connecting edge terminal (as if it was the center terminal), is no problem. It will work. You will have to “tie” the 2 back plates together

Sorry for late reply. Didn’t see this. Connecting edge terminal (as if it was the center terminal), is no problem. It will work. You will have to “tie” the 2 back plates together
Thanks so much for your response! I was able to get the new capsule installed and everything works and sounds great, much appreciated! I had to be a little creative with the saddle/mount and use part of the original Rode mount combined with part of the new mount, but it worked out great.

Before upgrading the capsule, I replaced the stock tube with a GE 6072 5 star tube. This definitely made a bigger difference than I expected... hard to describe, but it made everything sound a bit smoother and more 3D. The capsule I chose is the BeesNeez C12. I do really like the way that it sounds although (to my ears), it is a little darker than I was anticipating. The original Rode capsule for sure was brighter and almost sounded like it was already EQ'd. In some cases this actually worked really well. With the BeesNeez, when I EQ it a bit to try to match the original Rode, I get the same sound I like, but smoother in comparison and more low-end as well.

Not sure if it's just the nature/sensitivity of the new capsule, but it does seem to have more self-noise now than the original Rode capsule? It's not a huge deal, but before changing the capsule, the mic was dead quiet... not sure if I need to swap out anything else in the circuit or just let it go.

Thanks again for your help!

Maybe the noise is because of the new tube?
I was thinking that too, but I first put this new tube in with the original capsule and it was dead quiet then. The noise I'm getting now is still very quiet and I think totally acceptable for a tube mic in general. The self noise is on par with some other tube mics I have... just wondering if it was odd because there was almost no noise at all before changing the capsule

Latest posts

Back