Rode NT1 Kit (the black one) Mods

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys,
I have recently register to this interested group found after searching about Rode Nt1 mod and repair. I am a huge fan of rode's mic and i have 2 of the Nt1 black version. i had purchased lately second hand Nt1 but it seam the capsule is damaged. Where can i find a replacement capsule for the Nt1 black version? of is there a way to repair it?

Attachments

• 1638627196663.jpg
    1638627196663.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 1638627196677.jpg
    1638627196677.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 239
  • 1638627196690.jpg
    1638627196690.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 66
Just put smallest possible patch of tape over the hole. Make sure there's no leftover membrane touching the backplate, and dont push against the membrane when aplying the tape. Maybe some gentle massage with extremely light brush moves.

The area is small, tiny bit of extra weight shouldn't change the performance. If so maybe above 15k, but not much.

Thanks for your feedback, but adding a small piece of tape will note affect anything else? and what effect can this hole do? will it affect the sound or the microphone output? or it is only something visual?

A tiny bit of tape won't change anything. Alternative is to ask for a replacement capsule from rode, reskin it for larger amount of money which might affect the capsule more than the tape. You have nothing to lose. Try it and listen.

Mainly after testing the current damaged capsules it seams that the mic cuts out for a couple of seconds when blowing air on it. I have added a piece of tape to close the hole and now the mic is working. I had run a frequency response test and did a comparison with another Nt1 i have , it seams the frequency response remains the same but with a 1.5 to 2 dB overall lower level. I have sent an email to rode to check if i could get another capsule in order to change it. Otherwise if i could found a good aftermarket capsule that will upgrade the overall mic quality with a decent price it will be great.
Does anyone here have some ideas about wish capsule models will fit in this mic?

The capsule found in the black one is designed for the purpose of low noise performance, and is the flatest- read "warmest" of this kind. Any other would probably defy the purpose of the mic. K87 would be too bright, k47 might be an option if one goes for u47 type of vibe. Stock capsule is also better than any other after market edge terminated of same design i've ever seen. When i say better i mean great rear rejection, on/off axis response/noise... but one might still hate it. I don't, i love it. It's manufactured on Røde's new high precision gear which means any NT1 can be used as matched pair. Tim's CT12 would be an overkill, as it's dual membrane, and im not sure it would perform well with NT1's pol. voltage. Rode is also great with warranty policy, check if your mic is registered for extended warranty. The last time i had damaged capsules they sent me a brand new mic no questions asked.

There could be also other issues with that mic causing the signal drop. That piece of tape shouldn't affect the level.

Sure you can take the capsule rolling route, but i doubt you'll get those 2db back with any other capsule, simply because of the design.

The one that performs closest to the NT1's is capsule from 797 Audio, model CY032. It costs 50$ + shipping, and is the same exact capsule used in Slate ML1 mic.

Attachments

• 20211117_104740.jpg
    20211117_104740.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
@kingkorg Great thread.
Would you recommend overvolting the capsule to 80v or even 90v, what would be the correct zener values?

I already have a NT1a with a K87 capsule from Aliexpress, would you consider the black NT1 an upgrade?

Last edited:
The zener is followed by x5 multiplier. 16v zener x5 gets you 80v. You can stack several in series to get desired value. Dont go above 20V! Zeners have also tolerance so you have to measure to be certain what voltage you get.

NT1 from Aliexpress has nothing in common with real NT1 and black one would be an improvement in every sense. Real NT1 is exceptional mic.

Thank you.

The NT1-A is real, but I changed the capsule to a K87 from Aliexpress which made it smoother sounding imo, the stock NT1-A did sound quite ear piercing.
I think I will try the Black NT1 soon, thank you again.

Ok, didn't get that. Well noise-wise stock capsule performs better. If you like the other one better it's totally ok to keep it. If it sounds good it's good. The new, black one has better sounding capsule thqn the older one. It is very smooth as my measurements show.

Just put smallest possible patch of tape over the hole. Make sure there's no leftover membrane touching the backplate, and dont push against the membrane when aplying the tape. Maybe some gentle massage with extremely light brush moves.

The area is small, tiny bit of extra weight shouldn't change the performance. If so maybe above 15k, but not much.
Brilliant and funny. The tape will work as long as none of the gold layer is turned inwards but the tension and weight of the membrane will be very different. Are you sure the lower output isn't due to the membrane collapsing? This microphone has a high polarization voltage and those changes would make it collapse more easily.

Brilliant and funny. The tape will work as long as none of the gold layer is turned inwards but the tension and weight of the membrane will be very different. Are you sure the lower output isn't due to the membrane collapsing? This microphone has a high polarization voltage and those changes would make it collapse more easily.
Yeah i think the mic capsule was collapsing so it ended up by contacting Rode representative in the region and they checked the mic and offered a new one as replacement with a 50% discount, didn't have any other alternative solution since the capsule was really damaged.

Tim and Kingkorg,
may I ask you guys what are the effects on performance of a diaphragm with a hole in it like Djonix showed?

How are frequency response, sensitivity, and output affected?

Thank you so much

1638627196677-jpg.86949

Tim and Kingkorg,
may I ask you guys what are the effects on performance of a diaphragm with a hole in it like Djonix showed?

Thank you so much

1638627196677-jpg.86949
Based on my experience with such situation basically what was clear is that the mic was shutting down every time an air is blown to the capsule. I did a comparison with another Nt1 i have and they were identical in frequency but the only difference i could spot was the lower output level

Tim and Kingkorg,

Thank you so much

1638627196677-jpg.86949
Sorry I can't contribute much as I restrict my work to membranes without holes hahahah.

Latest posts

Back