Roger Mayer RM57 build?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustbro

I was playing around with the RM57 the other day, and it blew my mind... It's the instant "smash 'em up" compressor. I pulled the top off and was shocked when I saw how basic the thing was.
Does anyone have a schematic / part list / kit for one of these? I'd love to build one.
thanks
Dan

[quote author="pucho812"]newbie asking for stuff :evil: :mad: :evil:
[/quote]
Uh... you never asked for a schematic or help before?
[quote author="pucho812"]... nothing is free[/quote]
Really? There sure does seem to be a lot of FREE and HELPFUL information floating around this forum. I wasn't expecting someone to track one down and reverse engineer it for me. I was wondering if it had already been done so I dont have to reinvent the wheel.

Maybe you're just in a bad mood after breathing in solder fumes all day?

[quote author="northsiderap"]How about a picture of the 'guts?' :thumb:[/quote]
That would be the next step I guess... Thanks.
Dan

[quote author="pucho812"]we can help you[/quote]

Note this part of the post...

If you have a try and start the process there are many cool people (including Pucho) who'll help you along the way!

Justin

Ohh yeah... and if you haven't already... have a look at the Meta's - so much useful info (see the Meta-Meta link above the board).

sorry to come off so harh dan. have a :guinness: :guinness:

It's just lately lots of newbies come on right away and without little intro are asking for stuff without even a hint of thanks or whatever. I have asked for schemos and info before don't get me wrong but took me lil while before I started getting into it. anyway I didn't mean to jump on you so quickly. :cool: :guinness:
lets pop that puppy open and get started. I along with others love to share info. I help out where I can but have much to learn as well.

Maybe you're just in a bad mood after breathing in solder fumes all day?
yeah I was but mainly from the migrain combined with solder fumes...

[quote author="pucho812"]sorry to come off so harh dan. have a :guinness: :guinness: [/quote]
Its cool... We're in the audio business and I'm well aware that everyone in this business is a dick (including me :grin: )
Schematics are hard to come by on this unit. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure that one exists. My issue is that I do not own this compressor and kind of popped it open when the assistant at the studio was sleeping in the lounge. I saw one for sale on ebay for $350... I guess I'll have to pick one up and rip it apart.

[quote author="dustbro"][quote author="pucho812"]sorry to come off so harh dan. have a :guinness: :guinness: [/quote]
Its cool... We're in the audio business and I'm well aware that everyone in this business is a dick (including me :grin: )
Schematics are hard to come by on this unit. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure that one exists. My issue is that I do not own this compressor and kind of popped it open when the assistant at the studio was sleeping in the lounge. I saw one for sale on ebay for $350... I guess I'll have to pick one up and rip it apart.[/quote]

I try not to be a dick but as you can see I got my moments. so it was a rackmount? balanced I/O? got a link to that e-bay sale?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Roger-Mayer-RM58-Stereo-Compressor-NEEDS-REPAIR_W0QQitemZ7385618234QQcategoryZ23793QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

When I popped it open, there were like 2 pcb's and a LOT of open space. Im going to see if anyone at pro.audio.rec has a schematic that can get me started.
I'm totally excited about starting to build my own gear... if you can suggest a good starter compressor that's easy to build to get my chops up, i'd appreciate it!
thanks
Dan

hmmm a mastering studio :?
compressor to build? hmmm well lots folks around these parts building 1176's and la2a's. if your crazy could go after that pice of shyte 670 no one ever uses thoses. :green:

OK.... It's been 6 months since I got the idea to work on this comp. I'm almost finished my Gssl, built a Fuzzface, Big Muff, and Phase 90... Now I think it's time to tackle this guy.
Since no schematics exist for these things, I've had to test every part to get the parts list. I'm still unsure of what transistors are used since only 2 of them are actually marked. I'm also not sure what trim pots are used.
If anyone has ever reversed engineered a piece of gear, any help would be greatly appreciated on getting me started.
The PCB layout is very inefficient since the cards had to slide into a big connector. Should be pretty easy to redesign?
rm57-pics.jpg

Wow!! Thanks to another member, I now have a schematic to the RM58. This makes my life a whole lot easier.

I guess my first step is to get the parts list going.
Can someone please share their wisdom on how to approach the redesign of the PCB? What to do first?
thanks all

Trying to get a schematic now... I have one in a manual that is very hard to read, so I'm trying to track down a better one now.

Would anybody like to help out with the PCB redesign? I am not experienced enough to do it on my own... even a nudge in the right direction with what software and what specs the pcb should be would help a ton.

I could volounteer to help you with this project. Could you send me the 58 schematics and good close up pictures of the PCBs?

/Anders

I have been researching this unit and was very fortunate to get some help from dustbro.
There are some undocumented trims on the PCB and components without designations, so I emailed Roger Mayer to ask him. (He lives in South London).
He was extremly unhelpful and showed no interest in giving any kind of support at all.
His reply:

we do not support this Model anymore and yourdetailed questions would require us to go into the archives to revisitthis old design from the 1970's. Many of the parts in this design areobsolete now and new substitutes would have to be chosen. All in allthis would be very time consuming and our current work load negates thisoption. We have had certain interest for these two old models butinsufficient to consider a new reissue.

So there you go. I guess we're on our own!

Back