Roland RE-101 Mechanical Noise

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilan

Hi,
I have a RE-101 that is pretty noisy.
When the pinch roller is attached to the tape and motor there is a mechanical motorboating noise as you can hear on this video:

For comparison this is the noise from a good working RE-201:

First I was thinking that this noise was coming from the pinch roller itself, but when I holed the pinch roller with my fingers and stopped it from spinning this noise was still there.
On the other hand, with the pinch roller disconnected from the unit there was no noise.
What makes me believe that the noise is coming from the pinch roller's arm / from the arm's spring?
Have someone ever faced this kind of problem and knows how to fix it?

Does it make the noise without tape?

What kind of tape are you using?

If you just use whatever tape, it can create a lot of drag. You need the type that has a graphite "backcoating". It's sometimes advertised as "lubricated".

Does it make the noise without tape?

What kind of tape are you using?

If you just use whatever tape, it can create a lot of drag. You need the type that has a graphite "backcoating". It's sometimes advertised as "lubricated".
Yes, as long as the pinch roller engaged to the motor shaft this noise is exist.
The tape itself is a loop that my friend (who's own this unit) bought on eBay as a tape loop for Roland space echo. I can't locate any brand / model number on the tape itself (like on my loops that made from BASF LGR50).
Since the noise accruing without tape I don't think that the tape brand making any difference in this case.

Latest posts

Back