Rotary Switch Round-Up 2016

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My3gger said:
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that they closed down for good - their front webpage says:

It would be great if I was wrong though...?

Jakob E.

Hi,

Palazzo only changed the name to G. Milani Commutatori, here is new website:

http://www.commutatore.com/

I just  ordered some more switches directly, they are organised even better than before. It seems orders under 100eur are now possible, although i needed more and didn't talk much about it. Secretary responded at first call, also the owner when i asked about a little more difficult tech stuff, material was in stock, etc.
They shipped right away, changes like BBM to MBB didn't cost nothing as company is small, other possible changes to designs are well explained on English version of website. If calling ask for mr. Milani, we could only speak Italian with secretary.
It took me a week because i wanted to know how is company responding and decide about specifications.
All in all good experience, they seem more flexible than before and cheap to me, will buy again. Hope it helps.

I can confirm that. I ordered  20 pieces/ 2 decks in 2016

yes , absolutely , very helpful.
I even received a new year's card after making  a one time purchase.

But I can't remember if it was the old or new staff

warpie said:
How's the quality of these switches?

Very high quality sealed switches.
The turn action is different than a Lorlin or so , you need to get used to it.
I mean , kinda smoother or softer, maybe less "pro" for some.
i'm happy

andre tchmil said:
Very high quality sealed switches.
The turn action is different than a Lorlin or so , you need to get used to it.
I mean , kinda smoother or softer, maybe less "pro" for some.
i'm happy

Thanks.

Can't seem to find any prices online though...

warpie said:
Thanks.

Can't seem to find any prices online though...
I've contacted them for some switches some time back for a neve project. Their prices were very good.

They have a few lorlin type switches, those were around €2-2,5 / piece
Other types i inquired about were the 4V types, which are sealed with epoxyglass. The ones i inquired about were all single deck and cost about €8.
One gain switch for the neve i inquired about was about €16,5
All prices without VAT.

gyraf said:
..were the company OK to communicate with?

Jakob E.

They were OK, but everything was in Italian. I don't speak Italian, so i asked my questions in English, got an answer in Italian, answered back in English, got an answer back in Italian,... Wasn't easy, but thanks to google translate it want fine. But they answered every question i had, and were very helpful.

Thanks! Iirc, Tubetec used Palazzo, at least for some of their switches, and I've never (yet) had to replace one of those.

For complex audio switches, also make sure to check out the new-old Blore-Edwards - https://www.blore-ed.com/ - they have all sorts of nice switch/pot combinations. Very good quality, but not badly priced..

Maybe it's time to remove the 2016 from thread title?

Jakob E.

When it comes to 24-position switches the problem is that they won't fit in 1U cases.
In fact, I think ELMAs is the only option in that case.

Sorry, this is a bit aside, yet related. I’m trying to remove the knobs from these plastic shaft rotary switches, but they’ll not budge from the shaft. I’m afraid to break them, so wondering if anyone had seen these or know a removal tip (can’t desolder without removing the pcb from the case, and those knobs are preventing that).
They are Lorlin (one is 8 position, one 3). No set screws on the knobs, so it must be a friction fit, I’m guessing. Just a scaredy-cat here! Need a nudge :)

Thanks folks, I’ve just never removed a knob from plastic shaft before!

SOLVED: I feel silly having posted this, but will leave it up in case someone else searches for it. Just used a hair dryer to heat up the knobs and they eventually came off. But still, it was way too near breaking for my liking!

Attachments

• FC416A2F-2811-4FA5-8366-4B4B89692EC2.jpeg
    FC416A2F-2811-4FA5-8366-4B4B89692EC2.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back