RS127 Brilliance Control

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMan

GDIY Supporter
Hello friends,

I would like to share a project I recently completed! This is an RS127-style brilliance control box based on the same section of @ruffrecords wonderful REDD EQ, with a Helios-style line amp for makeup gain. I followed very closely in the footsteps of member @mike (annoying him with many questions along the way), who completed his version of this same project a few years ago. I was inspired by his build and wanted to make one for myself as well. You can see his excellent work in the Redd EQ thread beginning with this post.

This project represented a lot of firsts for me. I had never put something together purely from a schematic (although I should qualify this by saying that I really used Mike's build as a template as well). I had only ever worked with a turret board a couple of times. And I had never designed a PCB, which I did for the line amp -- you can see the journey from total disaster to functional design ("functioning disaster," perhaps?) here. I can't say how much I appreciate all of the help and support I received from the far more experienced people on this forum.

I also want to mention that I used a UTM transformer on the output. @igs is doing a great service to the DIY community, in my opinion! Check out the thread about their transformers here.

Front panel laid out by me, fabricated by Frank.

I hope you all like it! I'm in the middle of finishing up the wiring on a second unit.

Attachments

• IMG_2645.JPG
    IMG_2645.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2646.JPG
    IMG_2646.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2650.JPG
    IMG_2650.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2651.JPG
    IMG_2651.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2654.JPG
    IMG_2654.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Thanks, Tim! I am very impressed by the way this box sounds. All credit goes to Ian for his incredible contributions to our community.

Yes, I used a Hammond 1458C4B. First time working with one of these, and while they're a bit quirky, I have to say I think it is a perfect choice for this application.

DUDE! These look INCREDIBLE!

Absolutely my favorite EQ EVER on BASS & Vocals!!

PM me if you'd like to build another (or two!). I'd LOVE to have one!!!!

Back