Running recording studio on solar power

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big fan of solar, and big fan of high performance home design strategies as listed above, but I did get out of an unfavorable 15-year solar contract in the upper Midwestern US a decade ago, because the installers cheerfully put the install on my new 4/12 slope shingled roof, and a convective loop problem formed (ice damming in the center of the roof beneath the panels) which sent water into my home. If any of you do get solar installed in a snowy zone, do it at a steep pitch, preferably over a metal roof or the ground. And of course, with the price of panels as low as it is now, nobody should enter into one of those multi-year contracts. Also, net metering becomes less and less favorable the more surcharges the power company can figure out to tack on, so get a good look at the math for your own particular situation.

Last edited:
Do not lease is sound advice. You can finance to eventually own the system and save money relative to your current monthly utility bill in many if not most regions around the US, but your particular utility company is a big factor - possibly as big as your roof’s irradiance map (how sunny it is where you are).

Back